The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

The 4G63 Dragster

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think it's time to add some info on our 4G63 dragster here. We built this car back in 2008 and have been racing it ever since. This car is owned by my father and me and we do virtually everything on the car. We bought the car as a bare chassis custom built for us from Ken's Kustom Chassis setup for a 4G63. Since then it's been through many configurations but the general formula has been the same. It's always been a 2.0L 6 Bolt 4G63 with a 2 speed powerglide. A 76-80mm turbo, methanol and no nitrous.

When we started on this adventure, our goal was a 6.80 at 200 mph. At the last event of our first season (2009), we went a 7.30 (I forget the MPH, I think about 185). With the turbo limits we had, getting down to a 6.80 seemed incredibly difficult at that time. I met some folks from BorgWarner and they offered to send me their 76mm turbo and told me if it didn't make more power and go faster, then I can send it back, if it does go faster, just continue to run it. It was a no-lose situation. Their turbo made gobs more power and we were able to get the car into the 6's and never really looked back.

By 2018 we had gone 6.52 at 206 MPH, had set and reset the NHRA Comp Eliminator I/D National Record numerous times, had finished as high as 7th in the NHRA Division 1 Comp Points and accomplished a lot of what we had wanted with the car in that class. We decided to throw an 80mm BorgWarner turbo on the car and turn up the wick a bit. We ended up going a couple 6.4x passes with the best being a 6.47 and a best MPH of 210. At the next event unfortunately, we split the block in half, it seems we had hit the limits of the iron block 4G63.

Since then we haven't had a chance to really run the car much, but we're getting to it this year. I think the best is yet to come. We changed some setup stuff on the car, moving weight around to get a better weight distribution. We purchased a pair of Bullet 4G63 blocks so that we can hopefully not have any stock block issues. We also have a nice 88mm turbo sitting here that will be going on once we get things dialed back in.

Please feel free to ask questions here and I'll do my best to answer. I'll make a couple posts below with photo dumps.

There are some companies that have been a HUGE part of this program that need to be mentioned here. Please do your best to support the companies that support the community.

Extreme PSI - These guys are the absolute best as I'm sure you all know. They've been a part of this project since day 1. People often refer to the car as the Extreme PSI dragster, and I'm good with that.

Fuel Injector Clinic - Another amazing group that have been a part of this project a LONG time. We run 4x 1650's and 8x 2150's.

BorgWarner - The story above speaks volumes. We gained power and spool up switching to their turbos and never looked back.

Haltech - We run the Elite 2500 on this car and it's phenomenal. Another great company to work with, with exceptional quality products.

Kiggly Racing - Doesn't get any better than the Kiggly Racing crew.

IMG_0426.jpg

122CI vs 500CI
IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1744.JPG

Best Engineered Car Award at the NHRA Auto Plus Nationals
IMG_1778.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

IMG_1895.JPG

IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_1940.JPG

IMG_1942.JPG

Bout time!

There's just something special about a father/son effort. Husband/wife efforts are cool too, don't get me wrong, but being able to share something like this between generations is really awesome. I'm a little envious man.

Bout time!

There's just something special about a father/son effort. Husband/wife efforts are cool too, don't get me wrong, but being able to share something like this between generations is really awesome. I'm a little envious man.

You should be used to how slow I am by now. ;)

I wouldn't give up the time I get to spend with my dad racing for anything. I'm so lucky I get to do this with him. I'm starting to share racing more with my wife too which is super cool.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back