The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

The 24th Annual SHOOTOUT!! 2016

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So happy to have seen Kiggly racing get the low 8 with nearly 175 mph in a fwd auto! Kevin and his wife are two of the nicest people that you would ever want to meet in the racing world, very happy to haved seen that, they work their butts off for everything that they get and take nothing for granted made my night, they deserve it! English racing managed to hit 206 mph in their GTR and put it in the 7's, a world record, we left around 8 and there was alot of racing left.

Last edited:
I've owned a DSM or GVR-4 since 2005, and have never been to a Shootout. After being, I'd say it's one of those things DSM guys should at least see once. I probably won't go every year, but if I do go again I'd like to actually run my car(s).

I drove 1837, and my wife drove 820. Both cars made the nearly 1,000 mile trip without issue, which is what I'm happiest about. I've missed the Shootout in past years because I never felt like my car was ready. Making the jump to take 2 VR-4s on that trip exponentially increased my chances of a breakdown, so I'm just glad we got there and back in one piece.

The best part of the Shootout was meeting some of the guys from the forums. I got to meet Juan, and BS with him for a while. Also go to meet Tom, and check out his Galant. I saw Nelson and Nate's cars, but never could catch either of those guys actually with them. I met a bunch of other guys too, who were all super cool. The people are truly what make this a cool event.

As far as the cars go, they were awesome. It was really refreshing to see dozens of clean DSM builds, not hacked and beat half to hell. Of course, there were a plethora of Evos, and some GTRs as well...Many of which easily had tens of thousands of dollars dumped into them. The kind of money some of these people have invested in these cars is just astounding. Granted, some of these are shop cars...But still.

The Galant VR-4 turnout was pretty weak compared to what I've seen in the pictures from past years. There were probably ~10 Galant VR-4s there total, including my two. Among the super clean ones were Nelson's 584/1000, Brad's 1459/2000, and Tom's 1444/2000. Also caught 816/1000 doing some autocross in action. I believe Jeremy (vr4play) took first in the max effort event. There were no organized Galant pictures, nor did the owners even really get to park together to my knowledge. Without Mike V organizing the show, I guess not many f***s were given :rofl:

The things that sucked were the hotel prices, and just being in podunk Norwalk, Ohio (no offence if that's your home/shit/whatever). Food options are limited to a few fast food joints, and a couple decent local places. The hotels (motels, actually) which would normally be a $60 dollar a night place are like $170 a night on average. So, you're literally paying double to stay in some dumpy motel because you want to go to the Shootout. Gotta pay to play I guess...

On the plus side, E85 was plentiful. Also, judging by the AWD doughnuts people were doing in parking lots...And the party at my hotel, the cops seemed to give zero f***s what anyone did. So, there's that.

Overall, it was a great time. Not something I'd probably spend $1K and make a 14 hour round trip to attend every year, but something I think everyone should at least experience once if you're a Mitsubishi enthusiast. You won't find a bigger gathering of clean cars and cool DSM people anywhere in the world. I'm not disappointed I went, that's for sure.

Normally, I take a ton of pictures. But, there was just too much going on to capture it all, and I wasn't in the mood. Here's a few pics/videos I did take:

A few shots of the trip up, and a shot of 1837 rolling through the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The twins safe and sound at the hotel:

Summit Motorsports Park. Definitely one of the nicer tracks I've been to.

Red Demon at Buschur's shop for the car show on Friday:

Brad's 1459/2000.

vr4play's 816/1000 and some shots of the auto X event.

Quick vid of 816/1000 auto Xing:
web page

Crappy vid of Nate in his VR-4 making a 1/4 mile pass:
web page

Nice photos Brett... I agree with you, it's an event that all passionate DSMers should go to at least once. When I finally made it to one it was a surreal experience. There is nothing like seeing so many of the legendary cars in person and meeting a lot of the great people you've been chatting with for years. It's something that you'll always remember.

Nice photos Brett... I agree with you, it's an event that all passionate DSMers should go to at least once. When I finally made it to one it was a surreal experience. There is nothing like seeing so many of the legendary cars in person and meeting a lot of the great people you've been chatting with for years. It's something that you'll always remember.

Chris, that's exactly it. For example, I can remember watching videos of Kevin Jewer's 1G RWD DSM running 7's years ago at the Shootout. It was mind blowing to actually see that car in person after so many years. Cars like Kevin's, and like Boostin's 2G are absolutely amazing builds to see up close in person. The DSM Shootout is the only place in the world that you can see all these outstanding builds in one place. Not to mention, talk to the people responsible for building them!

It was a great experience, and I'd highly recommend it to all DSM enthusiasts. Speaking as a long time DSM owner who just went for their first time, it was absolutely worth the time and money it took to finally make the trip.

I had to leave Sunday morning, so didn't get to see Boostin run. How did they do?

I had an awesome time our there. Wish I would've met more of you guys, but as a first year competing, it was a bit overwhelming. Definitely hoping to repeat the experience next year. Thanks for posting that pic of the last talon @GST with PSI!

Great weekend aside from the oil downs all day on Sunday. It truly amazes me how many people break something and continue to drive all the way down the track instead of immediately stopping and pulling over. :toobad: They started the last round of qualifying at 10:00am and then struggled to get through that round for hours. So that and then round one of eliminations was an all day affair. :| I had to pack up and head out to try to get home at a decent hour with some daylight left. I think I left at 7:30pm and they were still running round two of eliminations. My god! :banghead:

Just saw this on the Shootout facebook page from Dave and his wife. Just as I was thinking... This cannot continue like this. :( We (racers and fans/friends) have got to get our shit together. This is why we still aren't respected when we come to a drag race with other types of... Dare I say it... "real" drag racers. If we cannot start acting like drag racers, friends, and real fans of the sport then we will not be allowed to come back. Norwalk is a world-class drag racing facility and they were truly tested with their patience, equipment, and just overall ability to keep the show moving forward. The amount of money spent on jet fuel for the jet-dryer had to be astounding, astonishing, and unbelievable! OMG Anyway here's what Dave is saying about the future of the event as of right now.

Class rules changes for the 2017/25th Anniversary:

Quick 32 will be required to run full engine diaper/undertray. We've unfortunately never seen as many oil /downs as we are having this year. Solid rear axles allowed

Quick 32 solid rear axle permitted in AWD's.

GTR Quick 32, only one seat required.

Max Effort, one driver for the autocross/drags. Doesn't have to be car owner.

GTR Eliminator, turbo must use the stock turbofold. NO aftermarket turbine housing can be welded on.

This is from my wife Renee Buschur:

My thoughts about this years event.....as usual David Buschur and I look forward to this event every year. Weeks of planning, meetings, ordering shirts, parts, staffing all go into this event for us. Many sleepless nights as well for David. We get so excited about the comradery that comes with this event. The people that we have met and get to see again like we always do once a year typically gets over shadowed by the drama that comes with it. This year was no exception as a matter of fact it probably was the worst year to date for us. I have a hard time wrapping my head around how a group of grown adults have such a hard time with following the rules. Rules that in fact are instated for your own safety and well being. Rules that David and I are not above ourselves. We love this event. We usually leave this event thinking man that went by so quickly I can't wait for next year. I wish that was the case this year. Although some of it was unforeseen things which are out of everyone's control i.e. the amount of breakdowns, track down time, weather and length of time it took to actually get the race in some of the things that trouble me the most are things we all can do to make things run smoother, safer so at the end of the day everyone gets to go home safely. Rule changes were made by the track for your and my safety. Not to be dicks but because sometimes bad shit just happens. I'm not sure why it's so hard to follow those rules or what the purpose is to argue with the owner of the track about why you don't need to be behind the white line because of your need to video via your cell phone. This is blatant and udder disrespect as far as I'm concerned and it should be a non issue. If a track official asks you to move for your safety you should move period. No need for a hassle no need for an argument just do it. And stay there don't ignore his warning or move for all of 30 seconds and then go right back to where he just asked you to move from. The level of frustration that the track officials have to put up with astounds me and truly I will be shocked if they allow us to do this race there again another year. They put on world class races there and have more issues with our Shootout then they do with those huge name races. I'm saddened that this is the aftermath that David and I have to deal with. And if you are reading this post and laughing then you are probably part of the problem and I hope you are happy if Bill doesn't allow us to bring this event to his racetrack anymore. Thank you all again for loving these cars and racing as much as we do.

We stayed the duration on Sunday. The last two rounds of Quick 32 were far too exciting to miss. I think we left the track at around 12:30 am... First consecutive 4-day Shootout!

Congrats to ETS for the fastest GTR record with a 207.62 MPH pass!

Congrats to Aaron Gregory and Kiggly for new personal bests. Both great guys with great running DSM's.

Aaron went a 8.00 @ 173.70 and then backed it up against Jeff Bush for a win with a 7.96 @ 174.64. That car is a machine!

Kiggly went a 8.02 @ 175.37 and then backed it up with a 8.05 @ 168.94 in the finals.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Paul. I didn't know how late it went, but I figured it was gonna be around that time when it ended. After being gone for 3 days I had the wife wanting me back home, so I just had to go. So happy for Kiggly and Aaron Gregory. I know that Aaron's car has been the most impressive for the past couple, or few years now. I just always leave saying... "Wow his car is so fast, consistent, and reliable." Something that not many of us DSMers can say about our cars. I wonder if that's his first 7... :hmm: :idontknow:

As far as I know, those last 3 passes he made on Sunday were the quickest and fastest passes the car has ever made, so that would make it his first 7-sec pass in that car.

The last two races in Q32 had us on the edge of our seats. Both of them so incredibly close. It was tough waiting through all of the wet downs, but it was worth staying all night to see those.

Also forgot to give congrats to Dave Ruby (talondave) for the win. His car was making excellent 8-sec passes all day.

Last edited:
This was my 20th Shootout, in the last 21 years (yes, I missed one :( ). My Summit wasn't ready, so I brought my Talon Spyder, I knew it wasn't going to be competitive at the drag strip, so I decided to focus on Autox. However when I saw the course, I really regretted not making more power! This was a WIDE OPEN course, where 500-800hp cars could get deep into the 3rd gear (~90mph). By contrast, I was only in the top of the 2nd gear :(.

But, I kept getting faster: 86 sec, 84 sec, 83 sec, 81 sec, 80 sec and finally 79.30, good enough for second place in EVO class. They mistakenly put my Spyder in the EVO class. After I pointed out that mistake, I was still in second place in DSM class ;).

I was thrilled! Then, I just sat back and enjoyed watching FAST drag racing for the rest of the weekend.

My son took this photo of my Spyder at the end of the day on Sunday:

Unfortunately, this might have been the last "good" shootout :(. There is talk of dropping autox/Max effort and implementing FULL NHRA tech next year ....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back