The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

The 16g Drag Race Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What ecu is currently in the car?

Well, lots of progress, but not on the ET slip. At this point in the year it's too hard to get enough grip in the track without spending way more time and money that it's worth.

I've had an incurable intermittent misfire since August. It eventually killed that 2 liter engine. So it had that on two engines/heads/cams, two ECUs, two coil setups, two sets of cam and crank sensors, 3 or 4 sets of injectors, and so on. Nothing in any of the data to give any idea what it was most of the time, though the individual cylinder O2 sensors were pretty useful in at least knowing which cylinder it was. I believe I had at least two, possibly three, overlapping issues, which was making troubleshooting impossible. For example, at one point I had a lean cylinder 4, swapped injectors 3 and 4 and the lean cylinder followed to #3. But that was not the main issue. Went down a lot of rabbit holes on this one. I finally gave up and swapped in my Holley ECU and engine harness. The problem has not returned. I did in that process find that my MSD CDI box failed. But that affected 2 cylinders, as it should, not one. It also misfired on the ARC2 box from our 2g. Now it's just on stock coil, LOL. At any rate, the problem seems to be gone now.

I did change out the stator in the converter for one that is two steps tighter than the previous one. It knocks the tires off much more easily, so I'm hoping it makes the car quicker when it hooks. Lots of other little changes and improvements, too many to list.

So the car is running very strong now, and I'm just waiting on somewhere to run it. I'm tempted to drag it down to FL in two weeks for a random IFO. I don't know if the air will be there for a 9 second pass, but the track should be. It's been a while since I ran in the outlaw class with a 16g. :D

I mean wouldn’t mph show progress or regress even though the ground is cold?

It blows the tires clean off and I lift before I crash the POS. Not much MPH to be seen. :D The bare pavement in the second half of the track has decent grip, but the old, cold rubber is doomed without some money poured into it, it's as slick as ice. It's peeling pretty bad too. Time has just run out on me.

I've pulled this POS out for a test pass a number of times this year with no luck. Constant issues with clogging injectors it seems. I bought a cheap injector cleaning machine so I can do it here, which helps. But I get a clean burnout, then it won't make a pass, LOL. Time to throw the whole fuel system in the trash and start over. The thrust plates in the mechanical fuel pump are rusting and that is the source of the trouble. That needs to go back to waterman for a rebuild. I don't know how old the pump is, I bought it used in 2012 and have been running it on ethanol/methanol year round ever since.

The M&W CDI box I bought from Nick Stack has replaced the dead MSD box, so that problem is long gone.

It's on the Holley HP ECU, I made that switch over the winter when I had time. It does make tuning on non-IC methanol easier. I use the custom tables to correct the IAT to what it really is, not what the sensor reads, and fueling is dead on.

The turbo thrust bearing is smoked again. I did lower back pressure by putting a few psi boost to the WG's side port, but too late. Thinking back I'm pretty sure this compressor wheel already rubbed the housing before the last rebuild. I meant to replace the wheel and forgot all about it. I may send it to FP this time for a real rebuild, rather than my usual replace thrust bearing and send it routine.

The good DA is gone for the year so I think, while the fuel system is down, it's time to swap a better engine in and the compound turbos as well. I'll get back to this again in the fall.

I kept having the same issue with my Magnafuel hex drive pump. Rust and continually losing pressure. It was shot and they only thing they could reuse was the housing when I sent it in. Apparently you are suppose to send them in every 1-2 years to be freshened up when running alcohol. They asked me how long I ran mine. I told them since 2010.
I guess 9-10 years is far outside the normal to run a pump like that.

looks like you and I are boneheads just the same. Way outside the norm.

Lol, sounds like we're in the same boat. I opened this one up some time ago and it looked really good, aside from the thrust plates, so I'm hoping it's not all bad news. I asked waterman if I could get the thrust plates but their guy said they're sized/clearanced to the pump gears so it has to go back in for that. I suppose it's earned it.

I think I've missed some updates here. Sometime over the winter I reset the no nitrous record to 9.92 at 126. It has gone 137 I think for a best MPH, I don't remember why I lifted there. 60 foot was a 1.33, which blows my mind a bit (this was still no prep in the winter).

I then put a new thrust bearing in that poor old turbo (it needs a turbine wheel too after it ate a plug strap but that'll have to wait). The first pass on nitrous boost control didn't work quite the way I expected so it immediately smoked that new thrust bearing. Can't have nice things. :D We had a REALLY hard time keeping both the motor and bottle warm in 30-40 degree temps and 25 mph winds. So every pass was a compromise. But, on a totally botched pass it went 9.30 at 131 mph. That was the only one I turned the timing system for and by then I had had enough of the weather. That was a 1.25 sixty foot, also no prep (PYOP with Blue Collar Brew, my favorite). It had put up some impressive numbers on the dragy on other better passes, so I'm pretty confident it'll do what I want.

My dynoshaft shit the bed again, but I got a lot of runs with the 16g on it. I've quoted a few numbers from it, but I think the fairest estimate for no nitrous 16g power is around 475 hp dynojet. It's been a long time since I compared it to my hub dyno and virtually no one runs these. But this puts me at 11 hp per lb/min airflow, which I'm happy with. It took me a long time to break the 10x curse so that's progress.

Another interesting finding on this combo, with the M&W ignition box that has two power levels, 320 mJ was not enough for non-intercooled methanol on a 16g, it needs the 500 mJ high setting. I can NOT believe the difference that made. The old MSD box was 170 mJ (ARC2 is 189 for reference) so no wonder I had issues with that. Not all mJ are measured equally, but it's the best reference we have for relative ignition energy.

I need to change out all the injector baskets and attempt the nitrous passes in some warmer weather. In that cold weather it was hard to get even 80 hp through a 200 hp jet. I keep thinking this will be soon, but track work just eats up all of my time.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I think I've missed some updates here. Sometime over the winter I reset the no nitrous record to 9.92 at 126. It has gone 137 I think for a best MPH, I don't remember why I lifted there. 60 foot was a 1.33, which blows my mind a bit (this was still no prep in the winter).

I then put a new thrust bearing in that poor old turbo (it needs a turbine wheel too after it ate a plug strap but that'll have to wait). The first pass on nitrous boost control didn't work quite the way I expected so it immediately smoked that new thrust bearing. Can't have nice things. :D We had a REALLY hard time keeping both the motor and bottle warm in 30-40 degree temps and 25 mph winds. So every pass was a compromise. But, on a totally botched pass it went 9.30 at 131 mph. That was the only one I turned the timing system for and by then I had had enough of the weather. That was a 1.25 sixty foot, also no prep (PYOP with Blue Collar Brew, my favorite). It had put up some impressive numbers on the dragy on other better passes, so I'm pretty confident it'll do what I want.

My dynoshaft shit the bed again, but I got a lot of runs with the 16g on it. I've quoted a few numbers from it, but I think the fairest estimate for no nitrous 16g power is around 475 hp dynojet. It's been a long time since I compared it to my hub dyno and virtually no one runs these. But this puts me at 11 hp per lb/min airflow, which I'm happy with. It took me a long time to break the 10x curse so that's progress.

Another interesting finding on this combo, with the M&W ignition box that has two power levels, 320 mJ was not enough for non-intercooled methanol on a 16g, it needs the 500 mJ high setting. I can NOT believe the difference that made. The old MSD box was 170 mJ (ARC2 is 189 for reference) so no wonder I had issues with that. Not all mJ are measured equally, but it's the best reference we have for relative ignition energy.

I need to change out all the injector baskets and attempt the nitrous passes in some warmer weather. In that cold weather it was hard to get even 80 hp through a 200 hp jet. I keep thinking this will be soon, but track work just eats up all of my time.

:p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back