The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

The 16g Drag Race Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate Crisman

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 26, 2008
Blairstown, New_Jersey
I kinda figured I'd start a new thread for some of us that had originally planned to participate in the 14b record chase, but are either sidetracked or upgraded to 16g turbos. (rather than clutter the 14b thread). I'd like to keep this thread a somewhat parallel thread with updates on everyone's progression with the 16g range turbos.

So to start off: my car is running and went for shakedowns this last friday, but I ended up with a trans that doesn't like to 3-4, is locked out of reverse, and a slipping clutch due to a gear oil leak.

I'm going on vacation from Aug 18 to Sep 1, but one of my first orders of business on return is pulling the trans and figuring out my trans related issues. I'd like to get back to the track maybe September 10th to hopefully run some solid mid to low 11's.

Current Records as of Jan 5th, 2011

16g record: Pat Donaldson - 1G AWD Evo3 16g
10.332 @ 131.08
- 1.451 60' 6.594 @ 102.57mph

16g w/N2O record: Joe Bucci - 1G FWD Evo3 16g
9.975 @ 141.35
- 1.569 60' 6.501 @ 108.65mph

Last edited:
Good idea, I was going to do this a while back, but, I figured since I'm not on the 16g yet, I'd let it go for now. But, there is so much exciting stuff going on with the 16g's as well, that it's definitely time to have a thread about them. Hey, at least you have a starting point Nate. Good luck the rest of the year!

The little bit I can contribute on 16g's at this point: I also posted a line about it on the 14b Thread.

A local guy(next state over in MASS) ran several 11.0 passes on an EVO 3 16g running E85. His best trap was around 124.5 if I remember correctly. Street driven registered car. Not a super lightweight, but not stock weight either. These runs were on 26" Hoosier QTP's. On his street tires with EVO 17 X 8 wheels the car went 11.60@123 spinning tires all over the place. I don't have all the details of his mods, but I do know that the bottom end is original with no balance shafts. Last, he does his own tuning with DSMlink and has 1000cc injectors that I remember him saying were almost maxed. Pretty killer in my book. Anyway, hopefully he'll find the thread here and get involved.

Phil you need to throw a 16g on your car and hit the track, although your injectors might be a little too small.

Thanks for the vote! I do have an EVO 3 16G on the shelf, but, I feel the 14b still has some more in it. Yeah, if I was going to run 30 psi like these guys are I would think the 550cc injectors wouldn't cut it. But, then again they are on E85 which I won't be using no matter what, at least until there are local stations, but even then I doubt it, I like gasoline. Honestly though, I think the EVO 3 with 22psi would put me in, or damn near a 10.9 ET. But, who knows, maybe I'd only gain a couple tenths and traps speeds would rise a bit. We'll see. I would need more intercooler too. Basically, I need a rollbar before I can run anyway. I could go make some back up passes once that's done just as the car sits, but to really take it to the next level I need a better FMIC.

A local guy(next state over in MASS) ran several 11.0 passes on an EVO 3 16g running E85. His best trap was around 124.5 if I remember correctly. Street driven registered car. Not a super lightweight, but not stock weight either. These runs were on 26" Hoosier QTP's. On his street tires with EVO 17 X 8 wheels the car went 11.60@123 spinning tires all over the place. I don't have all the details of his mods, but I do know that the bottom end is original with no balance shafts. Last, he does his own tuning with DSMlink and has 1000cc injectors that I remember him saying were almost maxed. Pretty killer in my book. Anyway, hopefully he'll find the thread here and get involved.

I visited the local CT DSM forum and found out that he won the new class at the shootout and was the one that treed the guy that was running 10.9's in the class! He was running 11.1's @ 127 apparently. And, the car was driven to the shootout from MASS and back. Goes by Fonz......congrats to him:thumb:

Last edited:
These runs were on 26" Hoosier QTP's. On his street tires with EVO 17 X 8 wheels the car went 11.60@123 spinning tires all over the place.

Do you know what size wheels he's running? What about the specific tire size?

Thanks, I'll just randomly ask him on CCDSM one of these days. :)

I pulled my trans last night, it's wasted. (input shaft bearing went bad, wobbling input shaft ate the seal, which got gear oil on the clutch). Im installing another stock "mystery box" trans tomorrow that came with a parts car and again, crossing my fingers. Going to run it open stock center diff and stock VC until it breaks.

This coming week Im planning to do the following list in prep to run again on Sep 10th at Island Dragway.
  • NOS kit: finish installation of bottle, heater, feed line. wire system for Link activation. Jet for 50hp hit.
  • Clean and wash the car...it hasn't had a good bath and wax since 2005!
  • Make changes to the intake pipe so there is no contact with the shifter arms.
  • Figure out a method to catch all the condensation sweating off the ice water box.
  • Clean up ecu and misc wiring under dash while wiring the switches for nitrous and heater.
  • Boost leak test, double check base timing, new plugs.
  • 180* temp t-stat to replace the 198*...might help a bit in staging lanes where car gets kinda hot (210-216*)
  • DIY wheel alignment and ride height adjustments.

Wow this is good timing for this thread. I recently installed an Evo III 16G in my DD and I was able to go to the track last Friday. I got 8 passes in and my best is on my profile. I did do a 13.5 @ 104 mph too and I feel like the car has more in it. It is full weight minus the spare tire on Yokohama all seasons. As for boost level I'm not completely sure, I moved my boost gauge from my A-pillar to my steering column so I had somewhere to put my LC-1 and I had to reuse the ferrule that holds the nylon tubing after it had been compressed and it is pinching the tube causing inaccurate readings. The night before it read 22 psi and after the install it read 17 psi, and it is very "laggy" with the readings. Another problem I ran into is figuring out when to shift. For the most part I was shifting at 7k but I'm not sure if I should shift a little sooner. Even though I did 8 passes I did not feel I got an ideal run down, I either messed up the launch or messed up my shifts. I'm going again next weekend and hoping to break into the 12's. Between then and now I'm fixing my boost gauge, messing with the tune with the help of my newly installed LC-1, and trying to dial in a decent boost level. I don't know if I'm going to need to crush my BOV or if I'm going to have to mess with the actuator itself to get my desired boost. I got my 16G used for $150 and it had a 34 mm flapper and a heavily ported wastegate hole so that might also hinder my peak boost levels. The best thing to do now is get that boost gauge fixed.

Hope it's ok to post this in this thread for future reference in case the thread gets lengthy or if 'Pneumos' thread gets lost in the shuffle :)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drag-strip/377834-low-11s-16g.html

Hi Pat, thanks for posting a link to my thread! I guess I missed this post earlier.

Yes, I'm having some fun with an EVO3 16G right now. I installed the smaller turbo as a transition into my next big turbo setup, plus I wanted to convert to E85 and wanted to tune it with a smaller turbo just in case the tune was off for some reason. The tuning seems to be going very well! I really didn't expect to go nearly 128mph on my first time out. OMG

Now that I have some results I'm going to do a few more mods and see if I can hit tens with it. And if I do get into the tens, then I'll see how deep into the tens it'll go. One step at a time.

I've already added a few mods to the car. I made a nice 4" aluminum intake to replace the old 3"Home depot intake I made 9 years ago. It should flow a little better now. I also got a new 70mm throttle body, it uses the same bolt pattern as stock, so it bolts onto the stock manifold. I just have to port the opening a little and it's good to go.

I also wrote a new stutterbox code with anti-lag built into it. My car is down for repairs right now so I tested it on my FWD DSM. Let me just say that antilag stutterbox on a FWD DSM is extremely pointless! :D but the code works great! It builds boost instantly, and it reduces stress on the turbo. I also tested an early version of the code on a friends car last weekend and he couldn't believe how fast the boost builds up. I'm going to tweak it a little more this weekend and see how much boost I can build on the line. So far I haven't seen any limit in the code, so I'm just going to add more and more antilag and see what happens. Wish me luck

Hi Pat, thanks for posting a link to my thread! I guess I missed this post earlier.

Yes, I'm having some fun with an EVO3 16G right now. I installed the smaller turbo as a transition into my next big turbo setup, plus I wanted to convert to E85 and wanted to tune it with a smaller turbo just in case the tune was off for some reason. The tuning seems to be going very well! I really didn't expect to go nearly 128mph on my first time out. OMG

Now that I have some results I'm going to do a few more mods and see if I can hit tens with it. And if I do get into the tens, then I'll see how deep into the tens it'll go. One step at a time.

I've already added a few mods to the car. I made a nice 4" aluminum intake to replace the old 3"Home depot intake I made 9 years ago. It should flow a little better now. I also got a new 70mm throttle body, it uses the same bolt pattern as stock, so it bolts onto the stock manifold. I just have to port the opening a little and it's good to go.

I also wrote a new stutterbox code with anti-lag built into it. My car is down for repairs right now so I tested it on my FWD DSM. Let me just say that antilag stutterbox on a FWD DSM is extremely pointless! :D but the code works great! It builds boost instantly, and it reduces stress on the turbo. I also tested an early version of the code on a friends car last weekend and he couldn't believe how fast the boost builds up. I'm going to tweak it a little more this weekend and see how much boost I can build on the line. So far I haven't seen any limit in the code, so I'm just going to add more and more antilag and see what happens. Wish me luck

I'm off, Friday-Mon and got the wide band and down pipe installed.. Took it for a drive around the neighborhood (before the WB install) and the looks I got from people were priceless.. ROFL. I'm not sure if its a fuel tuning issue but I might attest it to how much timing we initially took out, its a total dog.

If ya get board this weekend come down, I'll get us some grub and drink and say we hook up the meth and finally get the tune down. :hellyeah: If you know anyone with an exhaust FS lemme know, I'm sure the neighbors would appreciate it LOL.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the car back together in time to make a shakedown run with the e316g. Have had it on the car for quite some time, but it was always one thing after another... transmission, head gasket, cracked cly head, ect.

So... had a spare head reworked with titanium springs and retainers and FP 272 cams.. Also got a new exhaust for it.

Car made ~255HP on a mustang dyno at 18psi with the 190 pump. So, ran out of fuel... got a 255 for it now. Hopeing it'll post some better numbers once everything is fixed. I'd like to run a 12!!

What RPM do you guys usually shift at with your 16G's? I've only been to the track once with mine and I haven't been able to figure out when to shift, especially since I'm on stock cams. My T-25 liked it at around 6200 and I tried 7K with the 16G, but my MPH seems like it is too low.

16g's are so much fun!

I've had a BW S259 turbo sitting here for over a year waiting for my Talon, and just this year now a FP HTA76 turbo.. and their both just sitting, because the 16g is SO much fun.

My mods are in my profile. Motor just hit 154k. It's a full street car.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5XLjwbgjjh8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5XLjwbgjjh8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

First passes with my slicks.

Drove the car 600+ miles to Ohio, won the DST class (best run 11.11 @ 127.8mph) and drove the car back home. I think it's awesome the power we can get out of these turbos. All these runs were in 90-95* weather too.

Tires/wheels are indeed 16x7 45 offset Rota slipstreams with 26x9.5 16" Hoosier QTPs.

16g's are so much fun!

I've had a BW S259 turbo sitting here for over a year waiting for my Talon, and just this year now a FP HTA76 turbo.. and their both just sitting, because the 16g is SO much fun.

My mods are in my profile. Motor just hit 154k. It's a full street car.

First passes with my slicks.

Drove the car 600+ miles to Ohio, won the DST class (best run 11.11 @ 127.8mph) and drove the car back home. I think it's awesome the power we can get out of these turbos. All these runs were in 90-95* weather too.

Tires/wheels are indeed 16x7 45 offset Rota slipstreams with 26x9.5 16" Hoosier QTPs.

Cool.....glad you found this thread! So, what's gonna be on the car for the Oct. 8th dragday? If you're still on the 16g I'll go to watch if you're goin........

What RPM do you guys usually shift at with your 16G's? I've only been to the track once with mine and I haven't been able to figure out when to shift, especially since I'm on stock cams. My T-25 liked it at around 6200 and I tried 7K with the 16G, but my MPH seems like it is too low.

Shift points are different for every car. Try shifting 1>2 at 7k, 2>3 at 6700, and 3>4 at 6300.

On my most recent trip to the track on a 16g I accidentally hit the rev limiter at 8500rpm in first gear! I didn't expect it to rev out so quick. Once I got a feel for the car I was able to hit my shift points, although I was still shifting 1>2 around 8k rpm.

Shift points are different for every car. Try shifting 1>2 at 7k, 2>3 at 6700, and 3>4 at 6300.

On my most recent trip to the track on a 16g I accidentally hit the rev limiter at 8500rpm in first gear! I didn't expect it to rev out so quick. Once I got a feel for the car I was able to hit my shift points, although I was still shifting 1>2 around 8k rpm.

Yeah I understand that everyone's car is different, but I wanted to see what some people were doing so I could get an idea of when I should shift. Thanks for your input. I did notice that when I would shift into 4th earlier I would trap higher. I just fixed my boost gauge which had a kink in the nylon tubing and I was able to turn the boost up to 20 psi over the 17 psi I ran last time so hopefully this weekend I can get my first ever 12 second pass.:hellyeah:

Damn 11's on a 16g street car. I plan on doing the same thing, but then again I'm a 2g, my mods aren't up to date, but I do run e85 as well, mods are similar to you FonZ. Have you dyoed it since the 11 sec? How much you flowing by the way?

Damn 11's on a 16g street car. I plan on doing the same thing, but then again I'm a 2g, my mods aren't up to date, but I do run e85 as well, mods are similar to you FonZ. Have you dyoed it since the 11 sec? How much you flowing by the way?

Not only 11's, 11.0's.....!

I don't want to step on his toes here at all, So Fonz, if I am, sorry, but I'm as excited about your progress as these guys are.

My .02 is that.....as of the last track day when he ran 11.0 he hadn't dynoed, street tuned to 11.0, that's just super impressive to me. I know squat about tuning other that pushing little buttons on my AFC:D

Not sure if he dynoed at the shootout or not.

One seriously quick/fast 16g car, that's for sure.

I've been modding my car since the last time out. Going nearly 128mph on my first trip out shows some good potential, so I'm looking for more.

Yesterday I removed the exhaust manifold and :ohdamn:
I remembered that I just threw on an old cracked unported :ohdamn: ex mani on the car to pass smog! I can't believe I made over 400 AWHP on that mani. That's going to be upgraded quick.

I also built a downflow compressor outlet and rotated the compressor housing. This removes a 1.75" diameter 180* bend, which should save a little weight and reduce pressure drop.

I started installing the 70mm billet throttle body! I swapped the TPS, ISC, and FIAV. Yep, stock idle control with massive flow, triple shaft seals. I think I'm in love!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back