The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

The 14b Drag Race Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It runs!

Attachments

• 14352567_2125592510999410_8979339096742822751_o.jpg
    14352567_2125592510999410_8979339096742822751_o.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 167
Is that the 7" tall FMIC? They don't have one listed as a street/strip anymore.

Is that the 7" tall FMIC? They don't have one listed as a street/strip anymore.

Ahh, yes 7" tall 3.5" thick. Wish I had the larger one but back when I bought it money was tight and I figured it was all I needed. It does the job but eventually I'll want to upgrade.

In other news, I can't get the 8th off work so that's out. I'm going to look through T&T and track rental dates and try to find something that works. I'd really prefer a rental or an evenT that is having T&T as the prep starts getting pretty bad this time of year.

Last edited:
Sweet. Thanks Shane. If I see a street one come along for sale pretty cheap, I might go for it. Otherwise I'm probably going with a custom unit that can grow with turbo size.

Hope you get out to a track. And a "paid" event with more prep will be much better!!

I might make a lowball offer on it. The custom one I will have made will be no more than about $525-550 and support a ton of power, but still have good flow characteristics for the little turbos.

Decided to upgrade my O2 housing. Been talking about doing a side exit exhaust for a while but for now I'm going with an STM unit. The no name poorly welded unit I've been using is definitely a flow restriction. I'll post some comparisons once the new one arrives.

I also ordered a new MAP sensor, I'm fairly certain mine has never functioned perfectly. If anyone remembers it was creating a rev limiter when I had a longer vacuum line going to it, and even now with a 2" hose going to it I've noticed the car breaking up around 7200 rpms at the top of 4th through the traps. The rev limit is set at 7500 in link. Just in case it can't hurt to try a different one.

I also ordered up a driveshaft loop from Dave Ruby so I can be fully legal. I need a new helmet next year but other than that I'll be ready to rock and roll.

In preparation for the 10.0 index class for the shootout next year I'm hoping to get some good 14b numbers so I can swap out to something larger by then.

Haven't put in the time off request yet but there is a track rental on the 15th I'm going to try for if I can swing it.

Freakin awesome. Hope it goes well. The STM o2 housing is WAAYY better than the eBay/cheaper versions.

Still haven't made it to the track and it's not looking good. I'm starting to think I'll just get everything buttoned up perfectly the way I want it and shoot for the opener in April now :( There's still a chance, but I can't request any time off in November and my days off are filled with this precious little girl mostly.

But, I did a thing...bought Gibby's Evo III 16g off him. However, I will not put it on until after I've felt like I've maximized the 14b on the fresh motor. That will probably mean 2-3 track days on the 14b first. I will likely swap the evo III hotside onto my 14b as it's lighter and some say it flows better than the big 16g housing I have on there now. Provided things go well I would like to put my untouched 14b (without the clipped turbine) back on for some final passes as well. But, that will depend on how many track outings I get and how they go prior to the shootout. I'd like to run the 10.0 index class and I'd like the Evo III dialed in by then. Not that I think I can run a 10.0, but it'd be nice to not be the back of the pack.

This winters plans then include: finally building a proper seat bracket for the Summit seat, lexan side windows, 7cm2 hotside, cleaning, and finding whatever other weight loss things I can do including myself!

Sounds like a good game plan you have there.

I like where your going with that Shane.

I think it'll be easier to get in on an index class with a turbo that's mostly maxed out. Wont ever have to worry about the car making to much power to break out. Plus its easier to be more consistent.

Thanks Justin, you going to get that turd out this year? I've never been good on a pro tree, the only time I've ever even had them was at the shootout. Maybe I'll get some practice in next year before the shootout though. If I can't learn the tree there's no way I can compete anyways! But, I agree with the logic, the setup will do what it does and I won't have to worry about breaking out!

And thanks Joe!

Ive been secretly trying to get my big turbo, auto, awd back together. I was gonna rush the fwd and put the super 99 on it but I really feel theres some unfinished business with both the 14B and 16G. So im reworking the fwd for now so I can make sure I maximize the 14b. I kept wanting to just go fast. Lost all focus. So having the awd I can beat the hell out of that and focus on getting the small turbo stuff done to. Maybe next year ill get it out and see what it does.

Boo...you have more time this year. Lol

I got my beater 14b GGSX to the track last night, while not earth shattering first pass I went 14.1@97 with a passenger, and then 14.1@100 no passenger, I short shifted first for some reason. I'm sure it would run have run a 13.9x on a good pass.

Before anyone says anything about the combo, keep in mind this is my daily beater that I put together with spare parts, hand me downs, and the goal is minimal cost. I paid $120 for the car and kept it out of the crusher, I bought the motor off craigslist for $50, and the rest of it is old parts from my talon.

Anyway here is the current combo:
Stock n/t engine with head cut about .02" So it's a bit over 9:1 and the n/t cams are a bit retarded.
Buschur ported 1g exhaust manifold (that's a true old school part!)
14b at stock WG pressure, starts at 9, creeps to about 15.
Buschur 2.5" cat back for a 1g dsm, china 3" dp, and a 3" resonator
1g maf
CX racing $59 intercooler. 20"x8"x3"?
450's with n/t fpr
wally 255hp
eprom ecu with a burned chip.
E65 fuel
Stock clutch

Only weight reduction is removal of ABS. I think it's right around 3400lbs right now.

Right now, it's limited by the injectors at 100% idc, and the maf overrunning in certain conditions.
Planning on swapping in a set of 750's and a maft or 2g maf soon, I also have a evo 3 7cm housing, and set of HKS272's to put in as well. I think at that point I should be able to get it in the 12's.

14@ 100 is definately fast enough to be a fun car! Like i said a few pages back, my colt is only 2050 lbs and i only got 13.3 101 mph out of it! But my setup is extraordinarily lame, major issues that need adressing.
I also have an eagle 2000gtx as a daily beater. I recently swapped in a dsm rear and evo trans with dsm front diff.
I absolutely hated the oem gearing as it was screaming @3500 rpms with no balance shafts at 65-70 mph. Now with the dsm/evo c

Combo its 2800 or so and its just perfect!

@bastarddsm...you are just waiting to explode that motor! Those factory pistons in the N/T motors are horrible for boost. Surprised it's currently staying together! That probably won't last too long. I would actually focus more on getting a healthy stock turbo motor setup instead of the other items you mentioned if you are trying to keep it super low budget. It's only a matter of time before you are paying for replacement engine parts anyway!

That said...that's not bad for how heavy the car is and the minimal mods.

Last edited:
@1SloEvo... You beat me to it... Those internals are like :pray: every pass you make. Seriously good times, considering the situation though:thumb:

I don't want to take this thread off course, but I can tell you from years of experince, the motor is fine. I've seen a few broken ring lands, but I've seen just as many out of turbo motors. I wouldn't be scared to swap on my old hy35 setup and put it deep in the 11s on this motor. Keep the knock down and it's good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back