The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

The 14b Drag Race Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yes. If things go well enough I may take the car to Arkansas or Oklahoma to run. There is a drag strip near my grandparents in Arkansas and one not far from my dad in Oklahoma. My dad lives in Arkansas right on the Oklahoma border and that track is like 15-20 minutes from him.

The only benchmark that will really matter is what it runs here. If I can get it over 110mph I think that will be good. I still don't know what it will weigh yet. The talon was 2590 without driver. I would like to see 1850-1950 without driver from this car. I don't know if it will be that light though. It will be running soon enough.

The talon went 13.4@100. So that is what I am looking to improve on.

I switched chassis', put my built motor in it with cams from an all stock motor, went to a 10cm t3 exhaust housing, switching from E85 to methanol, awd to fwd. So huge changes.

5800ft and density altitudes that range from 8000-11000ft regularly will make it slow. As long as we can crack some low 12's I'll be happy.

And maybe if the stars align it is running well enough I may take it to the shootout when we go this fall. We are trying to run 8's with another car so that is the priority.

That is a crazy looking setup! Can't wait to see what it does, and I'd love to see it in Ohio. Would be really neat to see a direct comparison between what it runs at your elevation vs what it could do closer to sea level.

I have an extra 5 bar map sensor from the talon I am not using. I had thought about it for the big turbo but, not this one. I am not sure if i will or not. I don't really want to pull the turbo back off again as it is all assembled finally.

Bringing it back!

This year has been very slow for me. I honestly lost a lot of motivation for the car. Things are starting to come around and knowing I want it to be decent at the shootout has rekindled a little bit. I also got myself something fun to daily drive which made a huge difference in my passion as well. But enough of the sappy crap.

I took the car out a couple weeks ago to the track to start looking at the tune, get the boost controlled hooked back up, etc.
I did not launch the car and only pulled wot in 3rd and 4th. Things were actually pretty close on the tune and I got the boost controller on the car and dialed in. Tyler Hassing has sent me another tune to get the SD map dialed in better but we're still on super low timing and 11.5:1 afr's. I'm planning on hitting up Martin Wednesday night this week for TnT to see how it looks. If everything is good hopefully we'll start adding timing back in and maybe upping the boost.

I've also finally ordered a set of softer springs for the car as well. After doing a ton of research and talking to Derek Klein about his own issues with his lightweight car on Megan coilovers, we've come to the conclusion we need to go considerably softer. The Megan's spring rates are 12kg/mm front and 10kg/mm rear. That wasn't so bad on a stock weight car, but it was still very stiff. On this car it's ridiculous. I've ordered some Swift spring replacements and hopefully they'll be here and on the car before the shootout.

I still hope to run a 10 this year, but time has definitely gotten away from me. If we can get the tuning dialed in I see no reason I can't go for it though.

"I still hope to run a 10 this year, but time has definitely gotten away from me. If we can get the tuning dialed in I see no reason I can't go for it though."
Good luck Shane! Do it!

Not bad for the first full passes with the new car! This was the evenings best.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That was a 1.46 60'. New springs for the coilovers should be arriving tomorrow. Hoping that having softer springs will allow me to hit the launch harder without all that bounce. There is room on the table for timing, boost, and fuel yet and there is definitely room in the drivers seat for improvement. I got a little rusty with a year off!

Glad to see people still at it with these cars!

I sold my 98 tsi awd after 10 years in 2013, got an Evo 8 and sold that last year...itching to get another dsm to play with :)

Ok cool. Thanks for the info. Just curious to see the difference and here about any advantages/disadvantages of each fuel.

The advantage to me is the cost! Maybe I could make more power on C16 or Q16 but I don't think it would necessarily be enough to change much at the end of the 1/4. Or perhaps I can make the most power on ethanol. It would be fun to try different fuels at some point but I'm not sure if I'm motivated enough to do it just for research sake.

Yeah, it would be cool to know, but if something is working, push it to its limits then maybe make a change once everything else is tapped out. Obviously both setups are running strong!

Speaking of pushing it to it's limits! Shootout time! The springs have been swapped, boost leak test done, new plugs, everything checked and topped off! Tightened the wastegate arm to see if it'll hold more boost, just barely had to tug it over the wastegate flapper arm before, now you actually need to give it some pull. Turned down the mbc just in case but I plan on giving it what it's got this weekend. Here's to crossing fingers that everything stays healthy enough to push for tens this weekend!

Speaking of pushing it to it's limits! Shootout time! The springs have been swapped, boost leak test done, new plugs, everything checked and topped off! Tightened the wastegate arm to see if it'll hold more boost, just barely had to tug it over the wastegate flapper arm before, now you actually need to give it some pull. Turned down the mbc just in case but I plan on giving it what it's got this weekend. Here's to crossing fingers that everything stays healthy enough to push for tens this weekend!
Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well, it was a strange weekend with the car. First pass was an 11.5 on wastegate pressure (18psi). I noted that the 60' was not optimal with the new suspension. I turned the boost up and things got weird. With boost at 27 psi the car went 11.9 at 111 on a 1.7 60'. Obviously the new suspension was not working out very well as I had massive tire spin and the car did not like the extra boost. I slow began a process of turning down the boost, lowering the slick psi and launch rpm. Ended up with this as my best pass on 20 psi of boost, 12.5 psi in the slicks, and launching at 6k which resulted in a 1.51 60'. At least it's a new best with this chassis overall. I'm looking forward to trying a few things at the home track as I really did learn a lot over the weekend.

Your car looked good, man, moves out hard on the 14b. Glad to see some guys still sticking around with the small turbo game, it motivates me to get mine back out. It's a shame they x'ed the stock appearing turbo class, it was a good time seeing guys pushing the limits. I really thought that class would've grown.

Thanks Chris! I miss seeing your car out there. Seems like the small turbo game has lost a lot of traction recently. I plan on continuing this push for a little while, but the itch to do something different is there. I've been saying an Evo III 16g is next but we'll see what happens.

Looking good Shane! Sorry I only got a quick wave at the Shootout! Can't believe I didn't run into you anywhere else!
There were a few people I never really "ran into". Definitely a packed house this year. Thanks, things definitely didn't go smoothly at the shootout, but at least it ended on a high note. Hoping for some better results here at home.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back