The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

The 14b Drag Race Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandas FTW! looks like a nice start. Going to do a build thread?

For sure! I do plan on starting a build thread for it once I get rolling. For now all I've done is strip out the entire inside interior and wiring harness. It's a completely bare chassis now. I want to thoroughly clean the inside and probably paint it as well as the rollbar. If I don't do it now I'll probably never find the motivation to get it done later.

Jeff! Would you believe I picked this thing up in PA? :sneaky:

For sure! I do plan on starting a build thread for it once I get rolling. For now all I've done is strip out the entire inside interior and wiring harness. It's a completely bare chassis now. I want to thoroughly clean the inside and probably paint it as well as the rollbar. If I don't do it now I'll probably never find the motivation to get it done later.

Jeff! Would you believe I picked this thing up in PA? :sneaky:

Hell, you should have said that you were coming in to PA. I'd have met you for dinner or something. I had to ho to West Virginia to get mine.

Hell, you should have said that you were coming in to PA. I'd have met you for dinner or something. I had to ho to West Virginia to get mine.

Yeah, unfortunately we turned it into a quick trip. Would have been more fun to take our time and get to see a couple of you guys out there. Had to get back to work though.

Just put the email in to finally order up that Link V3 setup. Starting to get excited!

Yeah, unfortunately we turned it into a quick trip. Would have been more fun to take our time and get to see a couple of you guys out there. Had to get back to work though.

Just put the email in to finally order up that Link V3 setup. Starting to get excited!

Lite or Full V3, and did you get the SD bundle?

Lite or Full V3, and did you get the SD bundle?

Full V3 and with the SD bundle. I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread but ECMLink (Tom) offered me a partial sponsorship so I'm getting it all at a discounted rate. My wife actually worked that out by approaching them at the shootout :thumb: They showed some interest as it's "unique" and not a run-of-the-mill setup/goal, and of course based off my success so far with the V2 setup. Can't wait to play with it and see the benefits come through!

Now that deer season and thus my busy work season is drawing to a close here in Michigan I should be able to start making some progress on the car.

Since I pulled the 14b off and put the HTA68 on, I've been meaning to tear it down and replace the compressor wheel (got a bit chipped up from running a velocity stack low in the front bumper). Couple strange things I noticed.

First, it's an 01030 which should have the reverse threaded shaft, but it's got a standard thread (luckily it didn't back off). Maybe the compressor housing or turbine wheel was swapped at some point, who knows. I didn't notice any signs that it'd ever been apart, however.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Second, the turbo had a bit of in-out play, so I figured I'd pull the thrust bearing and check everything out. The back side of the thrust bearing, where you'd expect to show thrust wear, looks fine, but the side that goes to the seal plate is grooved pretty badly.

Reminded me of some discussion in another thread:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tur...illet-compressor-wheels-11.html#post153339940

Yup, if you plan to run high boost you should feed it oil from the OFH. Oil pressure at the turbo needs to be higher than boost pressure.

Steve the turbo I just had rebuilt was a 1030 and same thing. I had it rebuilt with the reversed threads so I wouldn't have any issues. So far so good.

Dave I've always fed of my head on stock turbos. Never use anything less than -3 braided line. My head pressure is usually around 15-20psi less than the ofh and off the ofh I see between 70-80psi down the track.

I feed mine from the head as well, -3 also. both the 16g at 40+psi spike, and the F3SA at 38-40psi.. no issues.

We're beating on these poor little turbo's pretty hard. I too feed from the head with a -3an line. The quickie rebuild this year that Tyler helped me out on revealed I had some shavings stuck in there which was preventing proper oiling. Probably from when I blew the motor.

^Yup, i purchased a used evo3 that was supposed to be like new which ended up being contaminated on arrival. A simple rebuild solved that issue.

Anyways, i finally installed 14b back on my car along with a completely stock engine and side mount. This is the exact same setup i fell in love with back in 2005 when i got my first turbo dsm. Almost forgot how much easier it is to street the car with stock cams. Lol. Just want to see what it could master up in an almost stock trim, just for fun. I decided that i want to keep this car as a daily driver so the total area under the curve is very important to me. Also, while i was in there shimmed the hell out of my clutch fork in hopes it would help me not to get locked out of gear after a hard launch. That's all the updates i have for now.

Hope we get some new records or personal goals accomplished in 2014!

Sounds like a lot of action for you guys in 2014. Best of luck...

On the flip side, I'm here to say that I'm officially done with drag racing with not only the 14b, but, as a whole. This won't be a shock to many I don't think. Some know I've been slowly getting away from it for several years now. Even in 2009 when I was the first to slap some slicks on an AWD 14b car and hit 1.4 60' times, my heart really wasn't in it anymore. Then in 2010 the compressor wheel nut decided to crash the party anyway. That, paired with some dramatic life changes steered me away from the cars for a few years as well. The initial plan was to build the motor, remove b -shafts etc. and enjoy some more power along with my overall light race weight.

Well, as much as I've enjoyed drag racing in the past, my true passion is roadracing. Back in 1996, when I got my Talon, within one month I had baselined it at the dragstrip, and done a road course track day. Following that, street/drag racing took over. The passion burned strong until about 2000 and then began a slow decline through the early 2000's, a bit quicker in the late 2000's, and basically to a halt in October, 2010 when the turbo gave up the ghost. Still ran 11.87 @ 92 spitting the turbine wheel and shaft out the exhaust at 1000ft.

So, I end with these bests:

1.48 60' and first 14b powered DSM to hit 1.40's
7.27 1/8 ET
94.8 1/8 MPH
11.49 1/4 ET
116.85 1/4 MPH

Other accolades:

12.0 @ 113 MPH stock ECU, injectors, MAF, no fuel control, registered street car

Quickest/Fastest Stock Original Engine/Turbo at 11.49 ET & 116.85 MPH

Held overall 14B record back in 2001 - 12.02 @ 112

Mission accomplished.

All in All, a damn good many years of running the 14b, but, it's time to close the book.

To all that I've inspired, which includes Joe Bucci, glad I could do that. It produced some great things.

To all that have followed me, supported me, helped me out on numerous occasions, you know who you are, and eternal thanks goes out to you all. The list is quite long....

To the guys here that are enjoying the enthusiasm for the 14b stuff that I once had, best of luck breaking new ground! 2013 was a great year for some of you.

And last, because least, to the haters, smack talkers, trolls, guys that run their mouths behind the scenes and still never put up times, thanks for the humor, I've enjoyed it. While it's nice to make new friends, that wasn't my goal here. However, I made some good ones. Of course, I've rubbed some the wrong way. It happens. Hey, I WAS a drag racer. And, no hardcore drag racer I've ever met stands for mouthy opponents, especially when they don't bring anything to the table. So, I don't have your respect, no problem. As always, I've got to throw out a challenge. How about bumping me off the 14b Top Ten List? You'll have my respect, but, my accomplishments in the 14b world will never be insignificant, no matter what you do.

I'm still into the DSMs, but focus has shifted back to the roadcourse as some of you know and have shown interest in. So, I'm still in the neighborhood, just hanging out on a different block.

Thanks guys...

Last edited:
You where a bit ahead of most of us Phil. You've had quite the run and a good one at that. You started this thread and you drug me into this thread. You helped push get me over the fence on getting my 14b setup going and you sure helped motivate me along the way. I appreciate all that you have done and the ground work you layed for the rest of us.

I know your done drag racing and with the 14B and all, but hope you still pop in once in awhile to say hi.

Phil definitely motivated me to build a 14b car, and no one was in the game longer then Phil Beers! Those old threads from back in the day are still in my favorites folder, and I still reference them from time to time. Thanks for all the tip, tricks, and inspiration Phil, I'd never be anywhere close to as quick as I've gone without ya! I look forward to following along with the Archer cars and your road racing ventures.

#1 Justin Aichele 10.677 @ 128.210 (2013)

#2 Joe Bucci 10.876 @ 123.83 (2005)

#3 Shane Webster 11.141 @ 118.17 (2013)

#4 Nate Crisman 11.377 @ 116.63 (2011)

#5 Phil Beers 11.497 @ 113.85 (2009)

#6 Dave Womer 11.514 @ 118.13 (2008)

#7 Leon Reitman 11.642 @ 116.56 (2004)

#8 Nick Carleton 11.767 @ 115.93 (2005)
No Photo Available

#9 Aaron Sardorf 11.76 @ 113.37 (2008)

#10 Steve Strzempek 11.784 @ 115.12 (2013)

Last edited:
You where a bit ahead of most of us Phil. You've had quite the run and a good one at that. You started this thread and you drug me into this thread. You helped push get me over the fence on getting my 14b setup going and you sure helped motivate me along the way. I appreciate all that you have done and the ground work you layed for the rest of us.

I know your done drag racing and with the 14B and all, but hope you still pop in once in awhile to say hi.

I wasn't in the initial wave of DSM guys in the early 90's, but I started in 1996 right as import drag racing "popped" on the east coast. So, relative to some I was in before by several years. I'm in my 18th year with my Talon.

Glad I could influence you in any way and yes I was trying to prompt you in 2013 as I knew you could pull it off.

Thanks for the words. Congrats again on setting a new bar for 14b 1/4 mile ET & trap speed.

For sure I'll stop through here from time to time. I have not lost interest in drag racing as a whole, just with my involvement.

Good luck on 10.5 in 2014

"Phil definitely motivated me to build a 14b car, and no one was in the game longer then Phil Beers! Those old threads from back in the day are still in my favorites folder, and I still reference them from time to time. Thanks for all the tip, tricks, and inspiration Phil, I'd never be anywhere close to as quick as I've gone without ya! I look forward to following along with the Archer cars and your road racing ventures."

Thanks Shane, it's been really cool to see you evolve over the last several years. This is a game of baby steps and trial and error. You had some nice incremental results that were representative of every single change, whether big(slicks) or small(velocity stack.)

Anyway, glad I could help over the years. But, it ultimately takes proper execution at the track to extract everything you can out of what you have. I think that is exactly what you did. 11.1 is a serious number for an AWD with 14b...and I know you're not done yet.

Good luck on being the first AWD/14B in the 10's in 2014.

I think white paint weighs less than black. LOL

White paint FTW! Thanks Phil, I lived vicariously through you, Dave, Nate, Joe, etc. for a long time! Finally got my goals and somehow I'm still motivated to continue. This has been quite the community, not that we always get along, but it's nice to be part of a group that shares their tips and tricks and truly wants to see others go quicker.

In other news, my new ECMLink V3 chip should be here today! I've been putting together some pricing on various parts I want/need this year. Hopefully I'll be able to get started on some of the chassis work here soon.

White paint FTW! Thanks Phil, I lived vicariously through you, Dave, Nate, Joe, etc. for a long time! Finally got my goals and somehow I'm still motivated to continue. This has been quite the community, not that we always get along, but it's nice to be part of a group that shares their tips and tricks and truly wants to see others go quicker.

In other news, my new ECMLink V3 chip should be here today! I've been putting together some pricing on various parts I want/need this year. Hopefully I'll be able to get started on some of the chassis work here soon.

Anytime...

Nice on the V3, that's great.

I may have something for you for this season's quest for 10's. I need to take inventory in my parts dept. Lol...

Just saw the top 10 list with pictures that you put up Shane. Thanks for that... That's cool! :cool: :thumb: Leon's car was a runner for back in 2004. I used to love watching him run at the Shootout back in the day. :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back