The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

The 14b Drag Race Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It is funny how FWD's are holding on to the top two spots :). I guess it makes sense, with all of us being under 350hp, weight becomes a worse enemy than poor(er) traction.

But this is very much with-in the "spirit of the 14b racing": doing something different, proving that status quo isn’t always right! Come to think of it, FWD is becoming THE set-up for 14b records, so now, resetting this record with an AWD will be the “daring” thing to do :)

I personally haven't seen an awd take the weight reduction down to what I have. We really don't know what an awd would do at an equal effort. We guess 200-250lbs more weight of an awd. But is that really it? Is it a closer gap?

Closest car is Shane's. When talking to Shane, I know he has more power to be made. His car has done an amazing job with being a stock low compression engine and less boost than im running.

A few things can be lost on the weight side as well. Now we are talking money. Id like to see an awd duplicate of my car mod wise to see the real weight difference to be had.

Leon I wouldn't count out the FWD platform so soon. Look at the Honda guys. They have no issue laying down respectable numbers with two wheels. They didn't have the option for awd. Us guys jump straight to awd and kick the fwd cars out the door when trying to make big power. I found that Im having more fun with my fwd than my awd. Im sticking with it and eventually want to be where Kiggly is. Why be like everyone else.

I personally haven't seen an awd take the weight reduction down to what I have. We really don't know what an awd would do at an equal effort. We guess 200-250lbs more weight of an awd. But is that really it? Is it a closer gap?

Once I get to where I am going and settled, i would like to put some effort in my car to make it competitive. While in the military only got short times to tinker with the car. Ran 12.1 in 2004, then came back to the states and lost some weight and the car ran 11.8 in 2013, w/ a leak. My awd is heavier than most because of the road course/autocross setup. Big brakes, Big wheels, oversized sway bars, strut tower bars, sunroof, and all sheet metal and glass(except door glass, their lexan). So I would like to put a more valiant effort when I get time. Plus my motor is the original motor, never unbuttoned, original 14b, no portwork any where. Original fpr, injectors, manifolds. So lots of options to tinker with when the effort gets serious.

So here is to things coming over the horizon and to 14b efforts out there in the works that we all know nothing about.

:hellyeah:

Last edited:
There will always be 200-250lbs weight penalty for AWD. Overcoming this penalty with 350hp is virtually impossible! You guys made me see that! ;)

However, once you get over 1000hp, that weight penalty becomes insignificant and AWD cars will be faster (given equally well prepared cars)! So what I am saying is that Kevin as fast as he is, in spite of FWD, not because of it ;) But this discussion does not belong in this thread, as we will never make 1000+hp on 14b :)

got to love this thread hey guys I need some help here but rather me going and reading the 1000's of reply's I though I ask if you can tell me what can I achieve with my set up realistically

I'm planning on moving back to my country Guatemala (central america) and I plan on racing my 1gb tsi and represent the dsm crowd so here is what I have on my car 14b, 2g maf, 550's, wally fuel pump, fuelab fpr, stock head, stock cams, ross pistons, eagle rods, stock crank, dsmlink v3 lite, xtd unsprund 4 stage, welded center diff, I want to squeeze as much power out of this turbo as possible so if you guys have any good advise that can help me achieve this I would really appreciate it much respect for all of you guys that stayed on the 14b budget builds thanks in advance My goals to start would be to hit mid 12'

got to love this thread hey guys I need some help here but rather me going and reading the 1000's of reply's I though I ask if you can tell me what can I achieve with my set up realistically

I'm planning on moving back to my country Guatemala (central america) and I plan on racing my 1gb tsi and represent the dsm crowd so here is what I have on my car 14b, 2g maf, 550's, wally fuel pump, fuelab fpr, stock head, stock cams, ross pistons, eagle rods, stock crank, dsmlink v3 lite, xtd unsprund 4 stage, welded center diff, I want to squeeze as much power out of this turbo as possible so if you guys have any good advise that can help me achieve this I would really appreciate it much respect for all of you guys that stayed on the 14b budget builds thanks in advance My goals to start would be to hit mid 12'

Get a nice FMIC, run high octane race gas, make sure your car runs right, and crank up the boost!

forgot to mention I have a punishment FMIC I guess I just need to up the boost and take it to the track I'm on 15psi what's the max boost the 14b be able to handle thanks guys

What ever you can get it to make efficiently. Ive run almost as high as 26psi. But my results are going to differ from yours.

If you go to the track just up it a little bit each pass until you show no more mph gain. Just make sure the car is all up to par and running good.

The lighter the car the better it will run.

Everyone fall off the face of the earth??? Kinda quiet in here.

Well I got short notice Sacramento was open for test and tunes. A bunch of friends went so I loaded up and decided to make a few passes. I was the only import out and not a big car count so track prep was not up to what it should've been. Still not a bad day watched my buddy first time out with his Turbo LS mustang break into the nines.

So my three passes went like this

60' 1.624
1/8 6.886
Mph 102.7
1/4 10.729
Mph 127.80

Next
60' 1.631
1/8 6.933
Mph 102.76
1/4 10.81
Mph 127.45

Last
60' 1.610
1/8 6.874
Mph 102.00
1/4 10.73
Mph 126.11

Not a bad day and looking to see what I can change next.

Right down there again. Nice consistent passes. Keep working the launch...would be worth the most and maybe a 10.50 pass is in the cards. Nice job.

I take the car out on the 14B and find myself not wanting to take it off. I find myself wanting to try something new or make a few changes. I really really need this car to hook up a little bit better. If I have to I will add some weight over the front.

I am going to finally step up and make the switch over to the E85 equivalent C85 from VP. Based on all the data ive collected, im pretty maxed out for power on the Q16.

Im also goin to figure out why the car has to grunt so hard under 4500rpms. My powerband is not quite where it should be. I pretty much have to hit up the local dyno to see where abouts my peak power and peak torque is at. After that I will make a few adjustments at the track in January and see if I can better my ET.

I don't know if swiching from from q16 to c85 will pick up power. Its worth a shot but at work switching from c85 to LMP engines will typical pick up 10 hp. However there NA smallblocks so your higher air intake temps will play a part. Have you ever considered trying any of the FTW stuff?

I would love to get in the 14b game but I would have to get rid of my Gvr4 first.

I don't know if swiching from from q16 to c85 will pick up power. Its worth a shot but at work switching from c85 to LMP engines will typical pick up 10 hp. However there NA smallblocks so your higher air intake temps will play a part. Have you ever considered trying any of the FTW stuff?

I would love to get in the 14b game but I would have to get rid of my Gvr4 first.

I really have no other feasible options that are cost effective. My intake temps are 115degrees crossing the traps on a 70 degree day. I know I can go air 2 water and get the temps lower but after talking to a well reputable mitsu tuner he thinks my gains with switching fuels will be greater and more cost effective than trying to drop intake temps. I'm really at the point that nobody has a for sure answer what's the next best upgrade. Cool thing is all I have to do is change out my injectors to the 1150s that where in my awd and switch fuels.

I do plan on making the jump to E98 when I get my Ethanol tuning down. I really don't have a reliable source of plain E85. SO thats the reasoning for trying out the more expensive C85 first. I was told that I should expect lower temps all the way around even EGTs but will have a more explosive combustion. That should give me the extra torque I need to net some better ETs.

At least i'll have an answer which one makes more power. Kinda curious myself if its really worth the extra money people spend on fuel systems.

It I look forward to seeing your results. Just curious what would you guys think of a 420A with a 14B on it? Reason I ask is my older brother who's car I play a huge part in I think we might be able to 11.70 with a 14B and I happen to have the one from my galant sitting around.

Sweet consistent times!

Switch the fuels. That opinion is gleaned from some very fast Honda and Nissan guys I know. Both a couple of high end tuners (hint Phil, one of them begins with the letter M ;) ). That is not to denigrate the W/A (I believe in that too), but the fuel switch is much easier to do for gains.

MB

Sweet consistent times!

Switch the fuels. That opinion is gleaned from some very fast Honda and Nissan guys I know. Both a couple of high end tuners (hint Phil, one of them begins with the letter M ;) ). That is not to denigrate the W/A (I believe in that too), but the fuel switch is much easier to do for gains.

MB

Im sending off my 1150s today for a good cleaning. Should get them back in time for the January race. Hope my external wally pumped at 14.5 volts has enough in it.

Good work on the consistent 10.7 passes Justin! I look forward to the fuel changes and seeing what they bring. You're at a new level and it's going to be things like trying every option that will get you (or lose you) those couple hundredths. It also lays ground work for those who will follow the paths later.

Im sending off my 1150s today for a good cleaning. Should get them back in time for the January race. Hope my external wally pumped at 14.5 volts has enough in it.

An external 255 on my Mightymax is just enough at 50 lbs/min (50 trim) on E85 at about 65 psi. My 950s are at 100% IDC as well at 42 psi base.

I really have no other feasible options that are cost effective. My intake temps are 115degrees crossing the traps on a 70 degree day. I know I can go air 2 water and get the temps lower but after talking to a well reputable mitsu tuner he thinks my gains with switching fuels will be greater and more cost effective than trying to drop intake temps. I'm really at the point that nobody has a for sure answer what's the next best upgrade. Cool thing is all I have to do is change out my injectors to the 1150s that where in my awd and switch fuels.

I do plan on making the jump to E98 when I get my Ethanol tuning down. I really don't have a reliable source of plain E85. SO thats the reasoning for trying out the more expensive C85 first. I was told that I should expect lower temps all the way around even EGTs but will have a more explosive combustion. That should give me the extra torque I need to net some better ETs.

At least i'll have an answer which one makes more power. Kinda curious myself if its really worth the extra money people spend on fuel systems.

You should definitely see gains going from C16 to E85. I'd love to see your setup run E98 and a hot pipe.

An external 255 on my Mightymax is just enough at 50 lbs/min (50 trim) on E85 at about 65 psi. My 950s are at 100% IDC as well at 42 psi base.

Sounds about the same as my single in-tank 255 with 1000s. They were plenty for the 14b maxed out, now on the HTA68 I'm at 100%+ at 22-23psi and 47-48 lb/min.

I thought it would be easier to just jump to the S16. Not the case. I'm more excited to see what's next and how much more I can squeeze out. I've got a good handful of things I want to swap out and try. First up is fuel swap.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well there's my update, and it's still on the trailer and now buried in snow.

Picked it up for a good price and towed it back home. A lot less rust then my blue car (nearly none) and most importantly a chromoly 6 point rollbar already installed (by JMfabrications).

So I have a ton of work to do swapping everything over. And since I'm doing that I'm going to be cleaning everything up on this car and making things the way I want them. I also need to swap the roof skins as this car has a sunroof. That will probably be my hardest part of the project, but others have told me it's really not all that bad.

It'll be sad to let the blue car go as it's taken me a long ways, but it's time for a change...and hopefully 10's!

Pandas FTW! looks like a nice start. Going to do a build thread?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well there's my update, and it's still on the trailer and now buried in snow.

Picked it up for a good price and towed it back home. A lot less rust then my blue car (nearly none) and most importantly a chromoly 6 point rollbar already installed (by JMfabrications).

So I have a ton of work to do swapping everything over. And since I'm doing that I'm going to be cleaning everything up on this car and making things the way I want them. I also need to swap the roof skins as this car has a sunroof. That will probably be my hardest part of the project, but others have told me it's really not all that bad.

It'll be sad to let the blue car go as it's taken me a long ways, but it's time for a change...and hopefully 10's!

This is awesome Shane. Can't wait to see it out there kicking ass.

You inspired me though...

Picked this up, to "fix" the rust issue on the current car. Will still be the same e3 setup (maybe some upgrades when I get around to swapping everything) but is a MUCH cleaner chassis.

Attachments

• 1460091_10202022745802746_240702872_n.jpg
    1460091_10202022745802746_240702872_n.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 106
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back