The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

TF06-18K suitable for my build?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumpyVR4

Supporting Member
May 21, 2014
Sydney, Australia
After a few opinions on the suitability of a Kinugawa ball bearing TF06-18K for build I've been collecting parts for for literally years. I have been planning on a HX-35G setup, but this money is tight and this turbo will be cheaper in that it's bolt on so I don't have to buy a manifold plus two waste gates for the twin scroll etc. Car is a street Galant VR4. Engine specs are 94mm crank, BC H-beams with 625 bolts, Manley extreme duty 8.5:1 forged pistons. 2G head CNC ported, +1mm valves, Kelford 264 intake / 272 exhaust cams, RVR intake ported to match to a 70mm throttle body and runners cleaned up as far back as I could get. Ported evo3 exhaust manifold, 3" dump and 3" mandrel exhaust. Injectors are FIC 1650s so I can run E85. Management ECMlink running mafless. I would love 500 at the wheel, but am willing to live with less to keep decent street manners and have boost threshold at a level where I don't hate the car for how long it takes to come on.

Turbo specs
TF06-18K: Turbine: Turbine 9 blade 54mm / 61mm (basically DSM TD06SL2 10cm) , Compressor 7+7 55mm / 75mm
Link - https://store.kinugawaturbosystems....-1-3/products/evo3-dsm-3a-tf0618k-stsadvanced

Thoughts?

If it's anything like the actual MHI 18KX3 compressor they're definitely not very efficient for their size. They're 55mm and rated at like 52 lb/min where the similar-size DSM Red is rated for an additional 8 lb/min. I don't see any reason to go for an $1100 knockoff when I'm sure you can find a clean, used HTA/HTZ Red for less...especially a ball bearing knockoff that you'll never find parts for anywhere.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back