The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Test pipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcB

Probationary Member
May 13, 2013
Calgary, AB_Canada
I have an HKS pi-power cat back on my talon TSI , it sounds alright but I was expecting a bit more from it. I was wondering if putting a test pipe in would make it sound better and possibly give a little more HP (it still has the stock down pipe) I live in Canada so all the emission crap doesn't matter :rocks: Thanks!

Exhaust sound is a personal opinion. It will prob be louder. My system is 3 in turbo back and sounds like a tractor until 3.5k then it sounds pretty good in my opinion. As far as hp you might get 1or 2 more out of it. But you might start to boost creep because of less back pressure in your exhaust.

Loud can get old in a few months. If you must, a race cat is a better option.
Alternately, it has been my experience that turbo cars can muffle themselves a bit and not be as loud as expected. (Or as compared to a noisy NA 4 cyl). My talon has almost no muffler, (a supertrapp), a race cat and is fairly quiet, 3" system.
On the other hand another car I own, an NA mr2 mk1, was very irritating with a small narrow muffler. I had to replace it with something more substantial.

sound is subjective as others have mentioned. But as time moves on, it does get old. As well, others tire of it even more quickly.

Exhaust sound is a personal opinion. It will prob be louder. My system is 3 in turbo back and sounds like a tractor until 3.5k then it sounds pretty good in my opinion. As far as hp you might get 1or 2 more out of it. But you might start to boost creep because of less back pressure in your exhaust.

The right wastegate will eliminate boost creep, regardless of the exhaust.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/boost_creep

Ideally turbo motors would run with 0 back pressure, but because of things like emissions, noise laws and personal taste - a lot of us don't run around with side exit's or open down pipe.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back