The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Test Drove an Evo today!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shapingo

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 25, 2002
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
I went to Satan today; Fred Beans in Doylestown to "look at" (not buy) the 4gen eclipse, but their shipment didn't arrive yet. So of course a salesman tries to sell me something else. I told him I would consider an evo 9. To my supprise they let me test drive an Evo (silver, gsr) Now my GSX is basically stock, "yeah I know" plus it is an automatic and the evo's power was rediculous in comparison, the evo pulled, handled and brakes so much better. (again comparing to stock)

My gsx has 29,000 miles, garage keeped, emission exempt (I drive 3000 miles a year), no mods other than a K&N, and F/R strut braces. The Manager offered $10,000 max for trade (he wants it for himself and not the dealership) I was offered more by my friends brother but the manager said he'd sell me the car at invoice. Does anyone know when evo 9 comes out, the manager told me july but he wasn't sure. So basically I have two months to make a decision.

Things that bothered me about the evo
I don't like the looks of the Evo's interior or the ride though, not because it is rough but it feels cheap!?! (It is hard to explain what I mean by that, I guess it felt like stuff was just about to break)

Did anyone else go from gsx to evo? If so, any regrets

TIA for any feedback

No experience with going from one to the other and don't know when its coming out, but I also test drove one a little while back and noticed that it felt really cheap on the ride. I agree it pulled hard and handled well, but all in all it just felt cheap, needless to say I ended up not getting it and getting a 350z instead.

I checked out the Evo when the first came out. I know what you are saying abou thte cheap feel. I also disliked the open feeling of a sedan. Ive always driven small 2 dorr coupes and SUVs. The Evo didnt have a sporty feel to it but I didnt test drive it so I dont know for sure.

The salesman offered you $10,000.00 trade in and to sell you the evo 9 at retail?? Jump on it. That is a killer deal. Up here the nearest mitsu dealership is in Spokane Washington (80 miles away) and every evo they have had has at least a $5,000.00 mark up after the sticker price. You are getting a hell of a deal. Twice the car plus a real trunk and you can take four of your friends and they are actually comfortable :thumb:

Amar1995 said:
The salesman offered you $10,000.00 trade in and to sell you the evo 9 at retail?? Jump on it. That is a killer deal. Up here the nearest mitsu dealership is in Spokane Washington (80 miles away) and every evo they have had has at least a $5,000.00 mark up after the sticker price. You are getting a hell of a deal. Twice the car plus a real trunk and you can take four of your friends and they are actually comfortable :thumb:

werd :thumb:

i remember Ive sat in an 03 when they frist came out, I thought there was something missing threre, the shifter was smooth as #### though. but when I sat in one of those 05 with leather, it all felt different for some reason, I began to like it more.Youre getting one hell of a deal and I think you should get it while the offer stands. I think I can say alot of poeple agree with me on this.

I personally would just keep the gsx. I don't like the evo8s and doubt the evo9s will be much better. The interior is very cheap in the evo8 and the ride is horrible as already mentioned. The tail lights are the ugliest things I have ever seen and the whole look of the car isn't too appealing to me either. I would much rather have the sti. Also the evo8s were known to break the stock clutch VERY fast. Sure you can upgrade it when it breaks but guess what ... yea no more drivetrain warranty. :notgood: A lot of them had the A pillar rattle when going over bumps and considering they are equiped with a 16g their performance is right where it would be if you threw a 16g on your car. Are you looking to leave it stock?

Funny thing actually ... a friend of mine had an 03 evo and just got rid of it. He too says he wishes he would have considered the 350Z back then. He thinks he would still have that car today then. I too would take a 350Z.

Your GSX has 29,000 miles on it. Keep it forever.

My dad went through the same choice when he was buying his car. His comparison - 2004 Evolution, 2004 STi, 2004 350Z, and 2004 RX-8. He went with the RX-8 with the full factory bodykit and wing (www.cardomain.com/id/egrx8), and got it because that thing looks WAY better than them sedans. Plus there's that feel when sitting in a lower, wrap-around cockpit, not like that open-air sedan idea others have mentioned.

I was disappointed with the RX-8s. ~165whp is terrible for a 25-30k sports car in comparison to what else is available.

I read recently that the new Evo 9 has better interior than the 8's did. They said that they won't have the "cheap" feeling as the last Evo's. IMO though, I'd keep the gsx. I would love to have it! :thumb:

Id go with the Evo 9! I like the looks of them a lot more then the 8's. But personally, Ive never ridden or even driven an Evo, so I dont have much say in your situation :p

Keep your GSX & buy an Evo when you have kids...or do you already?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back