The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

TERRIBLE suspension noise! Please Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlamingWeasel

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 25, 2002
California
Okay, here's my dilemma. I've had this annoying suspension noise for a while now. For at least 5 months. It sounds like something's loose in the back suspension wise. If i hit a small bump, or go across uneven road, the back of the car rattles. It sounds like something's loose. It is a kind of rattling combined with a squeak that only happens on rough, uneven roads or small bumps. I thought it was the shocks/springs at first. The stock shocks, when i took them out, were obviously not useable. They would compress and would not depress. However, when i replaced the shock and the spring. The problem still existed. I'm wondering if the blown shocks could have somehow broken something else on my rear suspension. And i'm also wondering if i should go in for an alignment now and see if that fixes it. This is because i THINK it might be the shock/spring hitting the wishbone shaped arm/assembly that goes around the shock/spring because there's only about a little less than an inch of clearance between the spring and that assembly. However, if i get an alignment and discover the problem to orginate from somewhere else, i'll have to get the car aligned again after i alter the components. If anyone has had this problem, or has any ideas as to the possible cause of this problem, please tell me. This is getting truly mad. Also, I've shaken each component on my suspension and none seem to be loose or wobbling. Thanks in advance for your help.

SEARCH! The ratteling is usually caused by one of the wires in the hatch ratteling around on a panel. Pull the panels on your hatch and see if you've got any wires hanging. If you do, Duct tape is your friend! :thumb:

OK. If I'm reading this right you've got two different noises that happen at the same time. One is a squeek and the other is a rattle of sorts. Both happen when the suspension is loaded then unloaded.

I'm just looking at your info on the right and all it says is a 2gnt Is it a GS, or an RS with a rear sway bar?

If it is:
Do this. Go over a speed bump head on squared up to it. Do this slowly. See if you hear the squeek when the rear wheels meet and travel over the bump. Then, go at the speed bump at an angle. See if the knocking/rattle noise then appears.

What I suspect are two different problems both relating to a sway bar issue. The squeek may be dried out sway bar bushings. The second knocking/rattle noise may be the sway bar link ball joints. The 96-00 chrysler minivans are notorious for making both noises. Replacement of the bushings and links is the normal procedure for high milage cars. On lower mileage cars the bushings can be lubed with grease but the links still need replacing.

To determine if this is the problem, you can remove the sway bar (rear) from the car. See if your noise goes away. If it does then you know it's related to your bushings and probably your links as well. If the problem does not go away then you at least know your bushings and links are good.

If you have no sway bar on the rear... uh. I'll think of something else.
Doug

Also, It's not any of the wires, i know that for a fact. I've tried the taping thing to no avail.

I seem to have the same problem on my 91'. I began noticing it right after I lowered it. All new struts and susp. tech springs. It seems like every time I lift the car off the ground it stops then slowly goes away. I have yet to try the sway bar. but I am going to try soon. My gues(even though our suspensions are differant) is the springs in upside down. I honestly dont know, but will try to keep in touch.

Originally posted by FlamingWeasel
I've had this annoying suspension noise for a while now. For at least 5 months. It sounds like something's loose in the back suspension wise.
Glad you're all over that, in case it's something fiddly like a wheel about to fall off.

Check the suspension bushings, and make sure the shock mount is tight.

well after a new sway bar and new bushings the noise just got a little quiter and happens less often. Now I'm totaly stumped. I'm wondering if 1g's and 2g's have something in common with each other in this problem.

Does the the sway bar link incorporate a ball joint type sway bar link or is it like a threaded section-nut-bushing-bar-bushing bushing lower control arm-bushing-nut-threaded section? I'm just wondering if going in there and disturbing any of the suspension may have changed the noise. If it has sway bar links with ball joints in them, you may want to replace them.
Doug

I bet your right. Its the only thing left that could do that, thats in the sway bar. Guess I'll run down to napa tomaro. Hopefully there not to expensive.

well napa, checkers, and car quest dont even make the part. I literaly went through three wrong oreders to figure it out. I pulled the bar and bushings again and re-greased them with a high grade lithium grease and the noise was almost gone. Untill today when it rained it started to come back, but not nearly as bad. I still think its the endlinks. Thanks for all your help!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back