The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

TERRIBLE suspension noise. Please help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlamingWeasel

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 25, 2002
California
Okay, here's my dilemma. I've had this annoying suspension noise for a while now. For at least 5 months. It sounds like something's loose in the back suspension wise. If i hit a small bump, or go across uneven road, the back of the car rattles. It sounds like something's loose. It is a kind of rattling combined with a squeak that only happens on rough, uneven roads or small bumps. I thought it was the shocks/springs at first. The stock shocks, when i took them out, were obviously not useable. They would compress and would not depress. However, when i replaced the shock and the spring. The problem still existed. I'm wondering if the blown shocks could have somehow broken something else on my rear suspension. And i'm also wondering if i should go in for an alignment now and see if that fixes it. This is because i THINK it might be the shock/spring hitting the wishbone shaped arm/assembly that goes around the shock/spring because there's only about a little less than an inch of clearance between the spring and that assembly. However, if i get an alignment and discover the problem to orginate from somewhere else, i'll have to get the car aligned again after i alter the components. If anyone has had this problem, or has any ideas as to the possible cause of this problem, please tell me. This is getting truly mad. Also, I've shaken each component on my suspension and none seem to be loose or wobbling. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have something thats sounds the same as you, my passanger side rear knocks when i go over bumps. Its probably not your springs hitting the wishbone, if it was, you would see where they have scrapped or bumped together. Check the rubber gromet that is holding that wishbone up.

The arm though is not loose when i take both wheels off the ground and shake it. I truly don't know what it could be.

check the black/grey hatch from the top of the trunk...sometimes if its loose it makes a squeeking noise.

open the trunk and just pull the whole thing out, then put it back on tight.

no, it's definitely not that, i've driven without all the panels in the back and it still makes the same sound. I know for a fact that it's coming from the suspension.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back