The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved 2G tensioner pulley orientation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonsaysr1

Proven Member
Jan 30, 2016
Rocky mount, North_Carolina
on a 7 bolt im sure the tensioner tool holes are supposed to be underneath the 14mm lock bolt right? mine was 180* out of rotation. the tensioner tool holes are at the top, when i go to tighten the 14mm lock bolt , it tends to make the tensioner get tighter. now ive heard it both ways. ive been told the tensioner holes are at the bottom. but alot of videos show the holes at the top on 7 bolt blocks?

If I would of taken a picture while building my 1g 7-bolt it would of been much better. Do you mean is the hydraulic tensioner the same between 1g 7 bolt and 2g 7 bolt? Well you can see the tensioner in my picture, thats the old one and I have a new one installed as well as a front case and water pump.

Ill look at extremePSI when I get back from the grocery store. I did a quick look and there though already but I dont have enough time to get the images. The numbers on the tensioners are 1 number off from the 92-94 7 bolt and the early 95 model. Then it completely changed.

So the mystery deepens....:cool:
I actually have a old 2g motor but its outside, in a tire, still has the cover on it (its my sons, he is a 2g guy) but I dont want to touch it so I don't get griped at......

Well here are the pictures from extremePSI for the hydraulic tensioners.

First is the 92-94 7-bolt
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Part# MD308586

Second is early 95 and you can see a difference
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Part# MD308587

And then the last one for the 95-99 is completely different. It is basically a straight rod with the same or close to the same as the early 95 model.

So maybe it depends on which bracket you have? The first one you showed cant be turned counter clockwise or it will hit the actual bracket.

The question is does it really matter on the v2 bracket as long as the belt is tight within specs. I guess if it clears everything it doesnt matter? I just dont know.

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-7_18-24-5.png
    upload_2019-7-7_18-24-5.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
I wish i still had all my manuals. This could be easily cleared up by looking at each year. Even now after all these years i will consult the manual for small details like this. CAPS or ASA also clearly pinpoint part number changes and when they happened. I would guess most major changes coincide with model year changes. I'm sure that's not 100% but it seems very likely. If you're lucky enough to have a mostly original car then you know the build date of everything

Very true. I dont have any manuals for my car either. I never did and my car is a Frankenstein car anyways. I think we are trying to battle all the other information out there to see what is correct and what isnt. A manual would clearly solve everything though. But going through the 1g the 90 is a little different between the 91-94 and the late 92-94 is different between the 91-early 92. Then early 95 is different than late 95-99 according to part numbers.

It looks like you should look at your bracket though, if you have the 1g bracket then you turn the pulley clockwise using the correct torque specs, if you have the 2g you turn the pulley counter clockwise using the correct torque specs. If the head/block has been decked with the 2g bracket then you spin clockwise from other information on this thread.

I take WAY too many pictures LOL.
But they are worth 1000 words sometimes by their explanations.

Your pics are so good - I love 'em, don't stop! The one you put up in post #13 is one I saved to my computer back in May, and it's backed up in 2 places like everything else that is valuable! 2160 x 2880 pixels. Which reminds me, time for another backup.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back