The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Tell me you’re a die hard without telling me you’re a die hard

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have to admit to not really pushing it to do what it can do. I keep fearing that I'll break something, crash it or get pulled over. So what it's capable of is kind of wasted on me. But then I mostly drive it on local streets these days so it's not like there's much opportunity to really open things up now. Maybe this spring after I hopefully finish what's left to do on it I'll take it on some road trips upstate and let 'er rip. Well, sort of.
I think many of us do what you are doing as far as how hard we run our cars. No shame in wanting it to stay healthy.

Nice work on the thread topic Tony I'm really enjoying getting notifications about it. Opening up i know im going to see something unique. :D

Now you have me interested! Looks like that thing may have fallen into a bit of disrepair, but I'm sure Chris is glad to see his old child with an enthusiast!
Ya it's been gutted to basically nothing. I grew up seeing the car in the upper left hand corner of the page. Followed the road race forums and then when I had the opportunity to get it even in this shape I couldn't say no.

Nice work on the thread topic Tony I'm really enjoying getting notifications about it. Opening up i know im going to see something unique. :D
Me too. Interesting to read everyone’s journey.

I finally figured out what I could add to this topic. Here’s my example of how I think I’m on both ends of the “die hard” spectrum.

I have in my possession a complete set of gently used oem (Miller) special tools for 1Gs. They even have the backdrop with the silhouettes and part numbers for organizing everything.

What eliminates my die-hardness?

I purchased these at auction (eBay) on 9/24/20, they arrived in two medium-large boxes on 10/1/20.

Here they sit today, 1/12/22, unopened, on the back burner that is life’s priorities taking firm control of ALL of my time for the past several months, or really for as long as I can remember.

I hope to one day be able to enjoy working on this car in this garage that I am so grateful to have.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I finally figured out what I could add to this topic. Here’s my example of how I think I’m on both ends of the “die hard” spectrum.

I have in my possession a complete set of gently used oem (Miller) special tools for 1Gs. They even have the backdrop with the silhouettes and part numbers for organizing everything.

What eliminates my die-hardness?

I purchased these at auction (eBay) on 9/24/20, they arrived in two medium-large boxes on 10/1/20.

Here they sit today, 1/12/22, unopened, on the back burner that is life’s priorities taking firm control of ALL of my time for the past several months, or really for as long as I can remember.

I hope to one day be able to enjoy working on this car in this garage that I am so grateful to have.

I dont think that eliminates die-hardness.
Sounds like you are waiting as long as it takes to get the time needed to finish the car.

I dont think that eliminates die-hardness.
Sounds like you are waiting as long as it takes to get the time needed to finish the car.
I agree. I'm sitting on some parts, some of which I bought nearly 2 years ago, that I haven't been able to install yet, because I had more urgent projects to complete on the car, that kept it from either working or working well. The less urgent stuff has to do with deferred maintenance, e.g. new bushings, ball joints, fuel filter, touch up paint, etc., and some non-essential repairs, like a stuck passenger window, barely working sound system, A/C not A/Cing, etc. All in due time. I'm hoping to get it all done by early to mid summer, including some relatively minor body work.

If we are talking about projects on the shelf, waiting for their moment - How about a GVR4 2wd/4wd switchable transmission, that has had a 2G bell housing attached that has been machined internally to fit with the GVR4 Ball Bearing races (vs the tapered races) - the output gear is from a 2G so that the GVR4 2wd/4wd transfer case will mate to the 2G rear diff.

I never quite finished it. (mic drop)

Last edited:
the output gear is from a 2G so that the GVR4 2wd/4wd transfer case will mate to the 2G rear diff.
Yours is taken from the late JDM Galant VR4? If those JDM switchable transmission/t-case is from the early/mid JDM Galant VR4, the gearing is the same as DSM. So you would be able to use it on a 2g without swapping the gear as long as if you can mount it and put a 23 spline output shaft and 2g selector arm/shifter cable bracket. Like 1g trans/t-case on a 2g.

Yours is taken from the late JDM Galant VR4? If those JDM switchable transmission/t-case is from the early/mid JDM Galant VR4, the gearing is the same as DSM. So you would be able to use it on a 2g without swapping the gear as long as if you can mount it and put a 23 spline output shaft and 2g selector arm/shifter cable bracket. Like 1g trans/t-case on a 2g.
Yes JDM, Dunno which year. What I need is someone smarter than me to push this across the finish line.

Justin

40k in parts and still down for 7 years
With 40k in parts you could turn your car into a literal NASA rocket LOL :hellyeah:

I swear you are a DSM encyclopedia

Yes JDM, Dunno which year. What I need is someone smarter than me to push this across the finish line.

Justin
I don't know all but as much as I know and assuming if the transmission has never been modified by previous owners. If the transmission is a W5M33 which originally came with the late GVR4 (EVO 0 or EVO spec GVR4 called whatever. The one with a 16g and 510cc injectors), you may have a 64T front ring gear and a 23 spline output shaft which is the same as the EVO 1 and 2, so to match with DSM rear, you would need to swap the front ring/pinion gear with DSM's. But if the transmission shows a code "PH" which is a KM225 transmission that originally came with the early/mid GVR4. And that should have a 58T ring gear the same as DSM, so no need to swap the front ring gear.
And if it's a PH transmission, it should have a 22 spline output shaft and t-case input (the same as 90 DSM). So no need to swap those if you don't mind to use a 22 spline output shaft.
Actually I have never seem a switchable W5M33, I am not sure if it even exists.

I don't know all but as much as I know and assuming if the transmission has never been modified by previous owners. If the transmission is a W5M33 which originally came with the late GVR4 (EVO 0 or EVO spec GVR4 called whatever. The one with a 16g and 510cc injectors), you may have a 64T front ring gear and a 23 spline output shaft which is the same as the EVO 1 and 2, so to match with DSM rear, you would need to swap the front ring/pinion gear with DSM's. But if the transmission shows a code "PH" which is a KM225 transmission that originally came with the early/mid GVR4. And that should have a 58T ring gear the same as DSM, so no need to swap the front ring gear.
And if it's a PH transmission, it should have a 22 spline output shaft and t-case input (the same as 90 DSM). So no need to swap those if you don't mind to use a 22 spline output shaft.
Actually I have never seem a switchable W5M33, I am not sure if it even exists.

Yeah! look at that manual! - Japanese text - so cool. Umm, I remember locating parts like you describe for the earlier JDM transmission. Is there a stamp (not located on the bell housing) that I can use to identify it. I have it mostly assembled.

Is there a stamp (not located on the bell housing) that I can use to identify it. I have it mostly assembled.
Isn't there any stamp on the bell housing like the pic?

Yeah! look at that manual! - Japanese text - so cool. Umm, I remember locating parts like you describe for the earlier JDM transmission.
If you would need the manual for your project, just let me know. I can scan and send it to you. It's in Japanese though.

Isn't there any stamp on the bell housing like the pic?

If you would need the manual for your project, just let me know. I can scan and send it to you. It's in Japanese though.

A scan would be awesome! and no stamp on the 2G Bell housing will tell us what we want to know. I don't have the original JDM bell housing anymore.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back