The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

tell me if you think my joe p mbc is bad...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted97GS-T

20+ Year Contributor
May 1, 2002
Louisiana
as everyone probably knows by now, i have huge boost spike(6psi of spike to be exact), today i took the joe p off and ran the hose straight from the compressor nipple to the wastegate and i got the normal 12psi of boost but with absolutly no spike at all so i would think that would mean that it is my boost controller. now my next question is, if it is my boost controller what can i possibly be bad in it causing this to happen?

try using very short hoses to and from your MBC. I had the thing in a remote location and I had poor throttle response and 2-4 psi spikes. I moved it so that the inlet hose is only 5-6 inches and the outlet hose(to the wastegate) is only about 8-10 inches away from the mbc. Much better response and smaller 1-2 psi spikes. Also use good quality hose. Cheap soft extra flexible hose will deform under boost with a resulting delay in signal reaching the critical areas(ball in mbc, wastegate actuator) further delaying the action of these parts. And make sure the connections are good.

give it a try, worked for me.

i tried that, my controller is like 2 inches from the wastegate, i guess i should just spend some more money and buy another controller :(

It is very possible the MBC couple be the culprit. I have known a couple Joe Ps to go bad... Well, I have known a couple of every MBC to go bad. Try working the spring.. crank the controller open then shut. Reset the boost and see what happens. That solved my spike/inconsistent boost problem.

ok i'll do that, also if it comes down to me getting a new one, what kind of mbc do you suggest?

I have the Joe P in my 1G and do like it. I also have the Extreme MBC in my 2G and that is a nice peice too. I have heard nothing but good things about the Hallman as well. Personally, I'd try out the Hallman if I had to buy another one. Of course if I could justify the extra $200-300 I would go electronic, but I can't justify it. Would rather spend that extra money on something else.

you could also try taking to Joe P and see if he will replace it for free. I know him and he is cool like that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back