The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Tein Street Basis Z Coilovers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nagisa_98

Probationary Member
May 14, 2021
Chicago, Illinois
Thinking of getting the Tein Street Basis Z Coilovers since my current ones are in bad shape. Does anyone have experience with them or have a recommendation for a better set of Coilovers. Found the teins for around 550. Don't want to spend too much money.

I thought my Tein Flex were good until I changed them to the DG Hypercoil Koni setup & realized how crappy the Tein's were.

I think what the op is saying is what's the best set up for $800 or less. We get so many of these post where ppl say if you don't spend this much it's crap, the $800 set up sucks compared to the $1200 set but $1200 set has nothing on the $2000 set. We all know you get what you pay for and I'm sure the op just wants to know what is his best option for his budget.

I think what the op is saying is what's the best set up for $800 or less. We get so many of these post where ppl say if you don't spend this much it's crap, the $800 set up sucks compared to the $1200 set but $1200 set has nothing on the $2000 set. We all know you get what you pay for and I'm sure the op just wants to know what is his best option for his budget.
Yeah i was just wondering what alternatives there are to flex z's for a similar price point.

Yeah i was just wondering what alternatives there are to flex z's for a similar price point.
I get a lot of hate on it, but I still think the Megan ez street II coilovers are great for the price. A full set is normally around 800$ Damper adjustment, top hat adjustment, decent spring rates. My old ones last close
To 6 years daily driving before I replaced the struts in them too

If you can get a deal on the Teins, go for it. None of the others in that price range are going to be significantly better than the Teins. They are all considered cheap, throw away coilovers. If they fail, you just buy another cheap set.

Any of the coilovers in that price range are made for the people who don't necessarily care about improved handling, they just want to be able to lower their car and have a "sporty" feel (ie: stiffer than stock suspension feel). They're not really designed for people trying to dial out understeer or make their car absorb bumps going through a turn, or make it more predictable going through a series of corners, or get the car to rotate easier using the throttle, bump steer, roll center, strut binding due to no upper spherical bearing on a 2g, correct steering geometry, etc... they just want a lowered car that feels tighter than stock, without having to mess with spring compressors, and not pay too much cash for it. They like being able to make it a little less stiff with the adjustment knob. And for that expectation, they're perfectly fine and those people are usually happy with them. They might not last too long, but they're cheap enough to replace a few times down the road if necessary. Some have even used them in competition with varying results.

If you DO want better handling than what you can get from those cheap coilovers, you can look into Konis and some lowering springs. Most people who have used both have found the Konis to be superior performers and be more compliant for daily drivers at the same time. You just don't have the ability to set your ride height.

Last edited:
The Tein coilovers are a decent choice. You will notice an improvement in handling and ride quality.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back