The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Technique for removing welch/core plugs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

absolute_DSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 29, 2006
Boise, Idaho
Ive searched around here and even tried using my technique of drilling the center and trying to pop them out with some leverage. Im not having any luck at all.

Whats your techniques?

Tap one side of the plug into the block, this will force one side to come up giving enough room for you to use big channel lock pliers. This will allow you to grab the core/freeze plugs and use the the block to pry against. To remove the the 2 core/freeze plugs at the back tap one side of the plug into the block and then from the coolant passages from up top on the deck use a hammer to tap a long skinny flat head screw driver between the plug and inside the block. As long as your not using a 2lb sledge to tap the screw driver then there wont be damage to the block.

Bingo. Read your post and 5 minutes later, the first one is out. I guess I was just being a girl with the hammer.

My buddy told me to "rotate it like a coin". I guess this is exactly what he meant.

Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back