The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Technically can I keep using this clutch/flywheel set?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kryndon

Proven Member
Jan 10, 2014
Bulgaria, Europe
Hey all,

I have no one near me to consult with so I would like to ask you guys and gals. I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine and I took the flywheel/clutch out. The clutch/disc have done 12k miles without any issues and the flywheel was resurfaced before I put the clutch on.

I've done a few launches and drag passes since, and a lot of city/highway driving. I must say it has held up very well although the clutch pedal is stiff as hell because of the springs on the pressure plate. (It's a Competition Stage 2 clutch kit.) But otherwise I haven't had any issues at all. So when I took it out, I was almost shocked at how flat the friction disc has gotten (the pads are almost flush with the channels), and both the flywheel and pressure plate surfaces have lots of spots (guessing from launches) and I have no idea if this is still okay to use or if it's broken.

I would like to hear your opinions, but keep in mind that given my location, I cannot find a new flywheel or clutch kit, nor do I have the money. Worst case would be to order from the USA which would make it 2x more expensive. I was thinking of maybe lightly resurfacing both flywheel and disc, or just passing it with some sandpaper by hand?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Is there any place that can do media blasting? Given your situation, I would media blast the pressure plate surface and replace the disk. If the flywheel is in similar shape, you can have it resurfaced, but that may be more money than is in the budget. It could be media blasted too. WAAAY back in my days, we would sand them to make them grab better, because we were poor, I just didn't know it! That disk just needs replaced though. I was surprised at my SouthBend clutch disk when I took mine out. It was wore down like yours and getting pretty thin so I will be going with a new disk or an entirely different clutch for my setup.

I think there is still some life left if your on a budget but you'll be replacing it sooner or later anyway. Attached is the FSM clutch inspection & service limits. You can measure yours & see how much life may be left. I use red/brown Scotchbrite discs on an air powered, hand held, angle grinder to buff pressure plates & flywheel friction surface when reusing them.

Attachments

• Clutch inspection & service limits.pdf
    86.2 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for the replies. I was actually looking for minimum thickness limits on friction discs but didn't think of looking in the FSM! Silly me. 0.3 seems low but I think mine was almost flush so maybe it's under the minimum. I will check it tomorrow. Also the media blasting (I'm guessing this is sand blasting?) is a good idea, I will see if anyone can do that near me.

I think I have an old Centerforce friction disc left lying around, but it's got 8 pads on one side and solid on the other. It came on the car but the pressure plate was so rusted it snapped one of the fingers so I changed it all with the Competition kit. Maybe I can pair those together?

Found it! It's 8mm thick. Gotta check the rivet depth on it as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back