The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Techboy's 99 4G63

techboy

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2018
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
With the car being down for the winter I haven't bothered to install the new ECMLink yet, but that will be the first thing I do when spring hits, and then take it to get a fresh tune.

One thing I did do back in the fall ... I've run my car for probably 15 years or so with the cam gears exposed. Never been an issue and I love the look, but I always wondered whether it was the best idea. So, I pulled the trigger on getting one of those clear cam covers.
l9vEpO.jpg

PJKFvy.jpg

Of course, nothing is ever straight forward. I had to spend several minutes modifying this to make it fit. Because I run a Hyundai valve cover, and not the OEM Mitsu one, it's dimensions are slightly different, so had to do some shaving with the Dremel to make it sit correctly. (Those aren't cracks you see, they are splines of plastic shavings from grinding).
ACbQZ9.jpg

28nPxU.jpg

Eventually I got it to sit nicely. If I don't like it in the long run, I can always take it back off and run the way I was.

1cs9vC.jpg

techboy

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2018
Haven't been on the forum for a while so I figured I'd pop in and say hi and give a little update.

I noticed at the end of the last driving season I had a small coolant leak coming from somewhere, but I couldn't find it. When I pulled it back out this spring the leak was even worse but still couldn't find it. I took it over to a local shop and put it up on a lift and the mechanic and I still couldn't find it. So, today I decide to taking this apart to get a better look. I got lucky and just so happened to see a drip come from the coolant pipe where it meets the t-stat housing and splash on the transmission while I was removing something else.

ajZQOR.jpg

fVXCqC.jpg

I have no idea how old this o-ring is, but I guess it finally gave up the ghost.
WF1UkN.jpg

I ordered some new gaskets already, but obviously I have to wait a few days till the show up, so I spent some time cleaning up the surfaces.
lrUiZl.jpg

yEEfPa.jpg

techboy

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2018
Heater core hoses finally came in (they were on backorder) and I was able to finish getting the car back together.
XR8miy.jpg

Replaced the leaking o-ring on the water coolant pipe, so we'll have to keep on eye on it and make sure it was fixed.
AOw1KG.jpg

All back together, time to fill it back up and go for a spin.
VVm3Or.jpg

techboy

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2018
Did a little, but necessary project today. For the past couple of years my headliner on the sun shade has been hanging, so I took it out today to repair. I didn't show how to remove it, but it's pretty simple. Remove the six torx bolts that hold your sunroof in, and then use a flathead screw driver to push the spring clips back and pop out the shade.

Here it is:
x6KvEy.jpg

I started by peeling the headliner material off.
UNqi54.jpg

I quickly realized there was a film still on the plastic shade that the headliner fabric must have been attached too.
eqpXXu.jpg

Here's both pieces peeled.
Oo96TK.jpg

I figured while I was working was a good time to pop the handle out and paint it.
SrgaYa.jpg

Had this fabric left over from another project.
Cckx0u.jpg

I used Gorilla Glue spray adhesive.
mO7lRg.jpg

I sprayed BOTH the shade and the backside of the fabric. Let it set up for a minute or so, so it's good and tacky. Place the fabric down and I trimmed everything up with an Xacto. This the rear piece.
c4CF35.jpg

This is the front piece.
woyePl.jpg

I wrapped the fabric around the edges as well, the way Mitsubishi had it from the factory.
GvTkli.jpg

Popped the handle back into place.
6Yx9XL.jpg

And then just reinstall in the car.
YVuRup.jpg

hl4sN8.jpg

Kinda digging the contrasting colors on the roof. Although, my sun shade is back 90% of the time so it won't get much notice anyway ... but at least it's not sagging now.

techboy

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2018
What a nice read this was. Love your build from the beginning to now
I really appreciate the feedback/compliment. I don't think I ever thought I'd have this car this long, but its been so fun and reliable over the years and now I just get so many comments on it at shows I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

techboy

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2018
Decided on this Labor Day since my ECMLink has been sitting on the shelf for a year I give this thing a shot at install.

Qie53k.jpg

I started by working on the cruise / clutch switch thing. Not sure I even had to do since I removed CC years ago, but I did it anyway. Was a total pain in the butt to solder up under the dash like this. The clutch switch is not easy to get to. This is the orange and purple pigtail ECM sends you with a new purchase.
e01QjD.jpg

Then you have to cut pin91 and solder the other end of the orange wire to that.

bsUp4M.jpg

According to the install instructions you just leave the other end of the cut wire hang loose.
rY0r8k.jpg

This is the EPROM ready ECU I bought.
7LJiob.jpg

Time to swap chips.
4fHrWz.jpg

Installed.
M7y2OY.jpg

So I got the ECU plugged in and hooked the battery back up. I tried starting the car to see if it would even run. I couldn't get it to start. It cranks, but it won't fire. When I installed my SAFC I made my own wiring harness with a plug so it would plug-in-play. I tried hooking that back up and the car still wouldn't start. So, I plugged the 99 blackbox back in and called it a day. I need to do some digging on ECMLink issues. I might be missing a basic setup step or it's possible maybe there's an issue with the ECU itself.

Last edited:

techboy

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2018
Thanks for the video link. That was helpful. I read through all the ECM paperwork and the Wiki ahead of time, but there was things mentioned on the video I hadn't come across. I think I need to swap my plug wires around for the alternate firing order. I'll make a 2nd attempt hopefully this weekend.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds