The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Team Twistex (Discovery Channel Storm Chasers) Dead in El Reno, Oklahoma EF3 Tornado

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JusMX141

Dec 13, 2005
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Tim Samaras Dead: Oklahoma Tornado Kills Storm Chaser, Son Paul Samaras, and Chase Partner Carl Young - weather.com Storm Chasers Killed by Tornado

http://therightscoop.com/storm-chas...maras-and-carl-young-died-in-reno-ok-tornado/

If anyone's a fan of the old Storm Chasers show from Discovery Channel that ran 5 seasons and was canceled in 2012, you'll know the Twistex crew headed up by Tim Samaras was one of the best when it came to getting hard data for researching the storms that destroy the lives of many each year.

Sad to hear of this event- of all the crews on the show, Tim's was probably my favorite as he wasn't conceded or in any type of competition...he just wanted to gather information and facts about these powerful storms. While everyone else was hating on each other, trying to get the ultimate footage...Tim just kept to himself and trucked on.

Godspeed Tim and crew- eternal thanks for all of your hard work and dedication while attempting to improve the lives of others throughout your career. My condolences to your families and the families of others whose lives have been ruined by these storms.

I this earlier this morning, his son was with him during this, the kid was only 24. Even though he knew the dangers it sucks to see someone with that much talent die under such horrific circumstances, condolences go out to the families of the crew and everyone who has died in the tornadoes.

Their car was picked up by a tornado. Tim was found in the wreckage (seat belt still on), other two got pulled out. One body was found half a mile away.

It is sad to hear that a talented group of scientists died doing research, but weather can be unpredictable. A little surprising that they did not see it coming and got out of the way in time though. Or maybe they did notice, just could not get away fast enough.

One of the articles claimed the tornado turned on them and caught the crew off-guard...perhaps it was a case where it all happened too fast and they weren't able to escape. From watching the show, Tim always seemed very cautious and aware of where the storm was at all times....he was always the one to pull the plug on any pursuit if he saw the tornado getting too big too fast or rapidly changing direction.

It was that reason why they never really wanted to build a TIV or Dominator-type vehicle- too diffifult to maneuver, and they never had plans to actually intercept a tornado regardless. If only they had built one, they may still be around today. :(

That was a wild one. I'm glad it wasn't as strong as the one on May 20 as things could have been much, much worse.

In light of El Reno Tornado Rated EF5, Widest on Record - weather.com Experts on Record-Widest Tornado, let me rephrase and say that I'm glad it didn't go through a more heavily populated area as things could have been much, much worse. Those 295 mph winds are nothing to mess around with.

Hell, imagine that 2.6 mile wide tornado cruising through the bumper-to-bumper traffic along I-35 that night in OKC, Edmond, or Moore...

Attachments

• 8649_558357120874545_1424029379_n.jpg
    8649_558357120874545_1424029379_n.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 41
Jesus- I knew something had to be up for an experienced crew to get caught like that. The width, the fact that it was indeed a multiple-vortex tornado, and the sheer wind speed can basically guarantee fatalities if anyone gets close enough. I mean 2.6 miles is HUGE....that's a damage path with a width TEN times longer than a drag strip.

Perhaps they just didn't know it was so huge, or it just grew rapidly...all I know is if I was a chaser I'd be staying far, far away from tornadoes like the one from El Reno if the conditions were such to potentially allow such a tornado to be produced. I'd just want to chill in an unpopulated field somewhere and observe the beauty and destruction while a perfect funnel like this does it's thing:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back