The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

TB elbow question on SBR FMIC

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LandoAWD

Retired
Supporting VIP
Jun 13, 2002
Hillsborough, North_Carolina
I just snagged an SBR FMIC for a great price and plan to slap it on this weekend (assuming I can get someone to cut the 90* off my PTE).

Is the TB elbow that comes with the kit angled like a 2g elbow? Once I pick it up, I'll be able to hold them up side by side, but I need to know if I'll have to buy a TB gasket in advance of the install.

Many thanks.:aha:

We ran a custom FMIC piping setup on my buddy's 2G last winter. The way the piping was, we needed to find a throttle body elbow that not only turned outward a bit more than a 2G elbow, but also turned downward to save another 45* coupler.

We found a throttle body flange on eBay for less than $10, and I used a portion of the mandrel-bent 2.5" pipe that came with the piping kit he had to fab up a custom elbow that was exactly what we needed.

Total cost was $10, slightly more if you have to pay someone to weld it for you. It's a little hard to see in this photo, but the fit and fab turned out perfect:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Since your piping is SBR, perhaps you could give those guys a call and see if they can recommend an elbow that can be used or maybe they can sell you one that normally comes in their kit.

Thanks for the response, and I'm sorry for being unclear on my part. This kit comes with a TB elbow and the car currently has a 2g elbow on it. Haven't ordered my gaskets/t-bolts yet as I know I can skip the TB gasket if the angle is the same.

SBR folks emailed and PM'd. :)

Yeah you'll want to lose that 2G elbow for this kit. The 2G elbow is just over 2" I.D. which is smaller than both the intercooler piping in your kit and your throttle body on your car.

If you can't come up with a gasket, you can always cut one yourself. I've been cutting random gaskets such as throttle body and j-pipe gaskets for years out of FelPro Karropak paper, and they work great with no leaks. It may be a little tedious, but it's cheaper than driving to the parts store to get one and takes less time than waiting for one to get shipped in from a DSM parts house.

10-4.

I wish I had the dang thing nearby so I wouldn't have to ask the question. :p

Napa may see me this afternoon.

The elbow are shaped the same (1g and 2g) in our kits, but they look similar to the one in the pic shown. They are not flat like the stock 2g.

Oliver
[email protected]

Here's my Slowboy elbow..

Great shot! Thanks!

Hopefully my 90* bend is being cut off my turbo as I type. Looking forward to my new toy.

Installed the FMIC this weekend and had to leave the 2g elbow on to facilitate the MAFT install.

Thanks for the help, folks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back