The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Targa T-top [Merged 7-7] T tops targas conversion

What is more unique?

• Awd Spyder (black w/ black top)

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Targa Gsx

Votes: 45 75.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i absolutly love the targa top, ive seen one on here before that was converted, but i dont know who will do the conversion around here where i live. exactly how complicated is the conversion and how much should it cost? any information is greatly appreciated!

I don't know for sure how much it'll cost, but I am going to have it done. The bodyshop that gives me a huge price break has done their custom wide body neon and it has no flex. I know braces have to be welded under the car and a roll cage has to be put in the car front to back. I would guess that it's gonna run around 3k unless you have a hook up or can do it yourself. You're gonna have to seek out a really good custom bodyshop. The guy I went to used to build VW show cars and is all into hot-rods and that sorta thing. Maybe this can help you find the type of bodyshop that'd be into/familiar with this sorta thing. Good luck. I'm hoping to have mine by summer or '04 or DEFINETELY by '05. Then I can really answer questions. :thumb:

i havnt seen a targa top thread in a while. many will argue against it, i say its up to you. if i had cash laying around i would do it, but i feel its not practical at this point for me. anyway, the main focus of it is to strengthen the car. add extra support.

has anyone ever thought to make a targa top convertable eclipse? i think that would be easier. its all ready strengthened more due to the convertable. add a roll cage and find a way to attach an exsting hatch to it. sounds easy, but its prolly not. just a thought.

a friend from louisvillestreets.com (here local to me) said he has a friend that can do it to my 1g for 300$. i dunno if he is BSing me or not but i plan on finding out this coming summer.

attn : dre99gsx

"The other part requires some ingenuity with weather stripping and latching devices. What you see in my pictures isnt the complete product. At current state, it looks quite a bit different. The major leakage came from the makeshift lexan sunroof. Mixing lexan and metal with a weak bond will cause vibration/leakage. I'm working on it at the moment. Trying to keep the budge under $500. "

ROUGHLY WHAT DID IT COST YOU ? ALSO IM ASSUMING YOU DID THE WORK YOURSELF ? FEEL LIKE DOING IT AGAIN ? PM sent
thanks steve at [email protected]
N.J.

ok 98 gsx with sunroof (seeing as how they come with one) is it possible to make it a targa

ive seen that one before and like a walkthrough of it but i didnt ever notice if it had a sunroof *goes to link so maybe ill see* thanks!

Originally posted by dre99gsx
--snip--
But, like any car, including the supra, the windshield shakes.
--snip--

A friend of mine has a 2002 Honda S2000, and it (as do all S2000s) has a convertible top. The frame of the windshield acts as a kind of rollbar, and is VERY sturdy. For this reason, the windshield does not shake/vibrate. Just thought you'd like to know.

The only car who's windshield doesn't shake is the 350Z convertible. I've driven a few S2000s, if you hit it with your fist/hand (windshield) you'll feel and see it vibrate a bit. If you drive over some small holes or bumps, the rear view mirror shakes a bit. The s2000 doesn't shake as much as others (they are getting better at it), but thus far, the mustangs have the worst, convertible DSMs are next, then supras, then s2000 and the best i've seen is a 350Z convertible, windshield is solid, rear view mirror doesn't vibrate at all. I would rate mine between a Supra and s2000 as far as windshield shake (or Cowl Shake as its properly called) is concerned. It requires massive structure between windshield and front clip with bracing right where your side-view mirrors are.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This photo has a support bar i've made. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. I was just toying with ideas...

There are more located on my website. Many have asked, I have done the entire roll cage and targa myself at home. Sawzall is my best friend. Project cost me near $800 total, but it will grow as I'm working on a collapsable roof or maybe carbon fiber roof. Roof alone weighs 30lbs exactly. Thats a Optima battery right there, less weight in the car better it is...

I dont mean to be a newb, but if your doing a targa top why not just put two strong but thin pieces of braces right on top of the side windows and then maybe one brace in the middlle...would also help hold up the targa top and I think would fix the windshield rattle.

Originally posted by 9D9 MITSU RS
A local shop told me $3,500. Needless to say, I still have a hard top.

Really? My body shop guys is doing mine for 400$ I have a Automatic Sun Roof so we are doing trade he gets the sell the sun roof to someone and he is hooking me up:thumb:

if you havn't already, do us all a favor and make a FAQ on how to build a targa top. include pics etc...

then somebody make a sticky on targatops telling everyone to check out the FAQ and then do a search before posting anymore crap about targa tops. yes, its very interesting, but its turning into spam from all the stuff on it.

i HAVE done a targa top......on a truck and its not hard and the actuall parts arent that exp..Just alot of labor..I have one quest though..They make 2g convertables whithout a rollcage..What helps them not have body flex?Just something 2 think about..

ok here is my idea. lets say you don't have a dsm yet like me. you would like a targa top but not a convertable. could some one buy a spyder and then buy a wreck hatch then cut the top off that one weld it to the body of the spyder then you would have to do no frame work. just cut and paste if you will. just my .02 cents

they're built on a different unibody with a stiffer undercarraige... which is another reason it's heavier...and it's still not the stiffest platform. another reason spyders aren't exactly the autocrosser's #1 choice.

aside from the targa part, ever jack up a 1g on one corner?...that one wheel goes up right...

i've seen a 1g with a 6 point... the guy jacked up one wheel... all three lifted up. I was sold.

trucks are built on a frame...so the top isn't essential to the handling of a truck...plus, trucks aren't exactly commonplace on a roadcorse either...ya know

but, doing an actual targa on a truck should be pretty similar to that on a car...

just my $.02 on the matter

Originally posted by dre99gsx

Part of the solution was a "tube chassis" to totally eliminate flex. This includes welding angles in every position possible. It is quite difficult to copy a Spyder frame, since I dont have body shop experience or the patience to take my fenders apart (as well as my entire dash). At this moment, there is litterally no more flex. The door jams now seperate as much as a non-cut GSX when lifted from the middle.

What do you mean by the spyder frame? Do we have tube chassis??

can you post a pic of the cross bar you are talking about? The one that helps support the windshield? thanks
-Rob

Originally posted by IMMORTALSPYDER
Spyder= Same unibody frame plus reinforcement.

Trust me.

what kind of reinforcements?
I've tried the convertible test where you drive on wheel onto a curb and see if you can open the doors with teh same ease as if the car was even. Needless to say, both door operated the same both ways for me. So I'm very convinced that these cars are pretty well reinforced from the factory. But I'd like to see a drawing of what the spyder frame looks like, any ideas?

rofl...the cage is just incase the car rolls...then you wont get squished since the roof is mostly gone.

Did the last 2 posters miss all the info in there...THINK!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back