The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Tar removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i shaved quite a bit of weight out of my 1g with a heat gun and an 1-1/2" putty knife and about 6 cans of brake clean.

step 1- remove seats and belts
step 2- remove center console and dash
step 3- remove carpet
step 4- remove rear seat
step 5- remove platic trim
step 6 remove trunk carpet
step 7- remove ebrake(can work around this)
step 8- remove shifter assembly and lines(can work around this)
step 9- remove mat that shields heat and noise from coming through engine bay(leave out
step 10- plug in heat gun and start heating up one corner of the tar.
step 11- apply gentle pressure to putty knife until you can get under it repeat for entire car from kick panel all the way to the trunk(get as much as you can)
step 12- vacuum very well

now for the brain cell killing part. roll car out of garage jack up front of car and pull rubber plugs start hosing down everything with brake clean starting from the highest point. take care not to spray plastic pieces or wires brake clean will eat them you will see it come clean i started at kick panel and firewall and worked my way back. i threw up a couple times cause it was cold and i insisted on doing this inside. after every spray you might want to go around and scrub some parts. once i did this through about 5-6 cans i was satisfied i cleaned up with dry rags. then i sprayed with 3 coats of rustoleum let dry and put back everything you feel you need.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back