The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Tapping noise from exhaust valve cold and under boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrpmp69

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Las Vegas, Nevada
My car started making a tapping noise that appears to be coming from the exhaust side of the head when i start the car up in the morning the other day and when driving under boost, anyone know what might have caused this? I think it might be a clogged or bad lifter, but i'm not really sure.

Is it loud slow ticing or just kind of like tic tic tic (just loud enough to hear but not too loud), and kind of quick? Did you have your timing belt changed lately? Is it just on start-up and under boost or at all times? Maybe your T-Belt skipped time one tooth of so. I would check and make sure everything is lined up properly with the cam gears.

Dustin

Defiant,
One of my manifold studs broke when tightening them so there is a leak there. How would that make my valves tick?

fourreGsixty3,
The ticking is loud and fast when i rev it, almost sounds like a squeal and loud and slow at idle. Under boost it also fast and loud ticking.

I will try to check the timing to make sure its ok this afternoon.

Is it comming from the head section of your engine? That "squeal" and ticing based on revs I would just check the harmonic balancer for cracks or seperation. Im just putting out idea's of things that could make the noise, so you might be able to find the problem without pulling the head and saying" Huh my valves are all fine." But it is a good possibility that it is your valves or lifter.

Dustin

the fact that you said squeal makes me think its your exhaust manifold gasket - i've had them squeal on me before

unior said:
the fact that you said squeal makes me think its your exhaust manifold gasket - i've had them squeal on me before

that would also figuer considering he has a busted stud...

Do you smeel any exhaust fumes when your hunched over you engine and its running?

Yeah, it smells like burnt oil and gas fumes.
When the car is at operating temp it doesnt make any noise.
I'm not too worried about it right now because i will be pulling the head off, hopefully soon, to replace it with a ported 1g head.

An exhaust leak can make a tapping sound. Since you say it's coming from near the exhaust and you recently broke off a stud there, it's even more likely that is the problem

GVR4592 said:
An exhaust leak can make a tapping sound. Since you say it's coming from near the exhaust and you recently broke off a stud there, it's even more likely that is the problem

Also when things heat up they expand and can sometimes partially seal up exhaust leaks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back