The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

TalonDave & The Next Generation of Holset.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, Justin, you used a HX35 chra and compressor housing and BEP exhaust housing and then machined both the compressor and exhaust housings? Why not start with the HX40 compressor housing?
Uhmmm....because there's no difference between the HX35 and HX40 compressor covers, perhaps? Aside from the wheel they're originally intended to be used with, that is. That just happened to be a housing I had on the shelf that fit none of the turbos I had on the shelf.

I may have missed it but whats the exducer for this KTS?
Read post #26.

Any 8s yet?
Considering out of 9 attempted passes so far this year we've had three broken rear diffs, no.

We now have what's *hopefully* a temporary fix for the diff problems to get the car down the track for the Shootout and local IFO race which follows, then a more-permanent solution planned for the off-season which follows.

Also I hear you're in CA now Justin' welcome.
Never been to California in my life.

How does this compare to the Borg Warner s366?
No idea as I don't personally know anyone running one, though this turbo spools MUCH quicker than a S366. Watch the video in post #48 if you want to see how quickly it lights up after dropping out of boost on a launch.

Uhmmm....because there's no difference between the HX35 and HX40 compressor covers, perhaps? Aside from the wheel they're originally intended to be used with, that is. That just happened to be a housing I had on the shelf that fit none of the turbos I had on the shelf.

I didn't know the covers were the same in all other respects, except the wheel dimensions and geometry of course. I knew there would still need to be machine work done to either cover to fit that new compressor wheel obviously because its bigger.

What part of the diff is he breaking? Cover? Gears?
Diff #1- everything. Literally every part inside the diff was broken.

Diff #2- ring & pinion destroyed, and the cross shaft broken.

Diff #3- the right rear axle popped out of the housing which damaged the end of the axle a bit as well as the viscous coupler inside the diff.

So really there has been zero consistency to what parts break and when.

So i was able to talk to a KTS REP. Looks like the compressor you ordered (4031C) is a 66/84 but a 86mm at the extended tip. They have a 7+7 blade design for lower end torque and an 11 blade gtx design for top end. I know you got the 7+7 but what was your reason for choosing that one. Is the standard hx40 an 84mm but 86 at the tip as well? I havnt measured mine.

The 11 blade has a 90mm Extended tip. But that option was not available when Justin sourced out the parts. The turbo is a beast I have been running mine for almost 2 months now. But the 11 blade is good for roughly 40 h.p more according to TurboLab.

I just hooked up my meth injection today. This was my second pull while tuning. It just gives you an idea of the flow.

Attachments

• log.2014.07.31-01.elg
    11.7 KB · Views: 100
So, do you know the gap dimension between compressor wheels and covers on Holsets?
When I asked BEP in the past they told me Approx .040" bigger than the compressor wheel or .020" on each side. The turbine housings i prefer to machine a little larger, because expansion, carbon, and rust play a factor in clearance.

The compressor wheel you want to to be as close as you can get without rubbing when forcing the turbo to try and make it rub basically. This is because the compressor wheel must be close to the housing to prevent air from escaping. The turbine side doesnt matter so much, but if were machined way out of spec too big, it will lag.

My lathe is 99 years old (1915 model), so its not in spec for trying to cut using the measuring tools on the machine. Hopefully ill grab a CNC lathe in the near future, i certainly have mastered the manual one.

Do you have to order over the phone? Is this similarly priced to batmowheel?

ive always went via email. From what i have heard they are more strict about selling wheels to people looking to buy in bulk rather than samples. I buy about 50 at a time. I have so many wheels now, and ordered so many of the wrong ones all the time. Their catalog is confusing as all heck. Most likely someone sells them on ebay. The compressor wheel part number for this is 4031C as shown above.

The really nice slim hub hx40 wheel 60 x 86 is 4014C, Those are the only hx40 holset wheels that i would buy from them. The rest of them for the holset seem to be the same as a factory wheel but billet, or it may have thing blades but still retains the fat hub.

Also expect to pay 40 to 100 for shipping from them because they are from maylasia, but the cost of the wheels are so reasonable.

They have a minimul quantity of 1 says on the site.

The 11 blade is an 86mm exducer not 90, i spokenwith the rep yesterday. Both the 11 a d 7+7 feature slim hub slim blade lighter then oem and extended tip and height.

I'm considering the 11 blade because it ahould give lower IAT's as well as produce more top end.

Also shipping is cheap for me for some reason, they have a distributor in canada called TURBO MS

Last edited:
This is awesome, wish the rear diffs would cooperate.

I love everyone trying build one.

Does the comp housing have to be machined differently for the extended tip wheel? I was curious opinions on this 11 blade wheel and what turbine wheel and housing would best suit that wheel for a street/strip high rpm 2.0? Should I just go hx-40?

No one ever mentioned a price on this thing. Hmmm....
....because nobody responding to the thread is a Supporting Vendor and therefore cannot discuss products or services publicly. ;)

Does the comp housing have to be machined differently for the extended tip wheel? I was curious opinions on this 11 blade wheel and what turbine wheel and housing would best suit that wheel for a street/strip high rpm 2.0? Should I just go hx-40?
I install extended-tip compressors behind OEM covers all the time, so I'd assume the answer would be "no" but I guess it depends what you're going for.

I haven't seen evidence where the 11-blade wheels really work as well as even the stock HX40 wheels we've used in the past, so I don't know what to tell you there. Concerning turbine housings- choose whatever fits your setup best....but if you plan on going very far into the 160mph range, you'll need a better housing than the T3 .70 BEP housing as we learned this year when the turbo in question netted a 5mph gain in the 1/8th but only 2mph by the end of the run.

JusMX, just to clarify, with the hx35 center housing, which BEP T3 turbine housing did you use(Their hx35 or their hx40) and did it need machining to fit the new turbine? BAE has a 76/67 turbine listed under parts for the hx40 along with the 3522880 wheel you used. What has me confused is whether or not the bep hx40 housing will bolt up to an hx35 chra and if the 76/67 wheel will fit in an hx40 turbine housing.

I used an existing HX40 housing, but it doesn't matter if you're getting the turbine housing machined for the 76/67mm turbine anyway...you can use either the HX35 or HX40 housing as both bearings housings are the same physical shape.

sweet, thats good to know. I have an hx35 center(3530521 casting) with a 76/60 turbine wheel in the holset divided t3 housing and a super 40 compressor wheel and cover. I'm looking for more flow but don't want to replace the whole turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back