The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

talon tail light conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white90gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 21, 2006
Wilburton, Pennsylvania
I want to convert my talon rear lights to an eclipse rear do i just need the lights and the bumper and the center piece? I looked but could find it.

thanks
chris

You will need the eclipse tail lights, and the eclipse bumper. You will have to relocate the back bumper supports too. Wiring up the tail lights are a pain in the ass. I made my reverse lights my blinkers. I like it though.

Is there a how to?

Hey man great find thanks a lot i only have one question im going to put a blitz body kit on it so i will only have to change the lights and bumper mounts right? It also says about relocating the mounts do they have to be welded or anything like that?

thanks chris

You can take off the bumper supports and move them up and have it rewelded, or you can take some 2" brackets from Lowes or Home Depot and install them on the sides and in the middle (so the bumper doesn't sag in the middle). You can also use a very long bolt and some washers to give it support. There are many options - but the best option, which is also the most expensive one, is to take off the bumper support brackets and move them up.

If you go to a local junkyard, find a Talon and an Eclipse without their rear bumper on. You'll see how the rear bumper brackets on the Talon are lower than the Eclipses.

To make the mount get yourself some 1 inch aluminum angle. You need about 2 feet of it. Drill three holes through the rear of the hatch and mount it with bolts. You could weld it, but its just as easy. Leave your original mount alone, its not in the way. The hatch area has a slight radius to it, so tighten the middle one first and do the outers together. When your bracket is done you can either drill and tap the aluminum or use sheet metal screws and washers to hold it on.

If you plan on using the 97-99 style reverse lights you will need to tap into the talon wiring harness and add a few feet of wire from the reverse lights. Put in some insulated disconnects and you wont have any problems. Wiring takes a whole 5 minutes start to finish.

If you need a picture, I could get you one sometime today.

I will be doing this Friday night..I will let you know if i need any thanks..

I did a conversion once... the wireing is a PITA! You'd be better off, going to a junk yard and cutting all the harness up from an eclipse... You'll have seperate blinkers (EDM Style) and you'll have to relocate your reverse lights into the bumper. Unless you go with aftermarket tails and do something totaly custom... When we did the conversion, we didn't know that the sockets were differen't... and nothing pluged up... and it was night and the car had to be drivne home... so we taped the sockets to the tails so they would stay in place LOL.

I did the talon tail light harness conversion to my eclipse so I can prepare my eclipse for the EDM Tails I'm about to recieve.

I have made a very extensive how-to writeup on this conversion. I also have pics, wiring diagrams, etc included in it. Sorry for it's length, but it definately tells you everything you need to do. Check it out here.

Yea man great thanks i cant wait until i change it all over. Im not worried about wiring because i went to school for it so im pretty good in that field..

I did the conversion and write-up last December ;-) so it doubt it was mine. Thanks guys, I'm glad it helps some of you out, that's what we're here for.

I may add onto my write-up at the end about how to put side skirts on a DSM that came stock without them. I have the 2Ga turbo Talon twisty side skirts on the way and I'll have to figure out where to drill holes for bolts or whatever to install them on my ESi.

I had to replace the fenders on my 2gb GS.... and the fenders I got were RS Fenders so the holes weren't in them... I just doublesided where the rivet was supposed to go. And bolted the rest of the side skirt in. But you can't do that with all of it...

Can't wait to see the writeup.

Is it possible i can get a pic of the rear bumper brackets i need so i dont have to stop in the middle to run 45 min to home depot.

Thanks

Any particular size?

you can get 4 L-brackets or two strips of angle iron as I did. Just make sure it will stick about an inch or inch and a half off the back of the car. Too short and it won't reach out far enough to bolt the bumper on to them, too long and it will keep the bumper from sliding snugly under your tail lights.

All right i will pick them up tommorow. I have one other question do i need the wire harness from the eclipse because i was reading that the bulbs sockets dont fit from the talon to eclipse lights?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back