The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Talon Tail Conversion. Tail light wireing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boostinsideways

Banned Member
Feb 4, 2011
Arab, Alabama
I have got a 95 Eclipse GST I am converting over to the Talon body style.

I just got the side skirts, hatch w/ talon wing, rear bumper, and tails w/ center section all installed. Found a picture over on DSM talk with the measurements to get the correct sweep on the door/fender addons correct.

Now my last quandry is that I am not sure how to wire the talon tails. I figured they would be different because the reverse light is in the tail light, however I am stumped about the wiring. I do have the harness that goes to the tails that I took from the parts car I pulled the conversion from.

I have found a lot of info for the Talon -> Eclipse conversion. But I am going the other way.

You will most likely need some pigtails for the Talon taillight bulb sockets. Some of the sockets are different (I.E. the blinker bulb, and the reverse light bulb). The reverse lights will come from down behind the bumper. You will have to pull them up through the hole in the rear of the trunk.

There are a a few threads about it. You are capable of searching for them though. The harness for the taillights should detach from a connector screwed to the taillight housing. The new Talon one should plug right into this connector and work.

I suggest pulling the entire rear wire harness from a parts talon. The harness that goes from the tail lights all the way to the underside of the dash. I've been trying for the longest time to find the very same thing for my eclipse, only I'm keeping the eclipse lights. But due to the LED mods I've done, I need the brake and turn lights sepperate. Easiest solution unfortunately is probably swapping the whole harness. I've been searching for a 2g talon in salvage yards for awhile with no luck.

I swapped my rear end to talon, and the pins in the tail lights on the white connector are different. The talon plug has 5 pins, eclipse has 3 pins. I swapped the eclipse housing wiring into the taking housings and left the yellow signal bulbs out. You will need the whole harness for everything to work like OEM I'd imagine.

I swapped my rear end to talon, and the pins in the tail lights on the white connector are different. The talon plug has 5 pins, eclipse has 3 pins. I swapped the eclipse housing wiring into the taking housings and left the yellow signal bulbs out. You will need the whole harness for everything to work like OEM I'd imagine.

So you just switched the wire from the talon tails and eclipse tails?

Genius I would have never of thought about this. Goin to get my tails out of the shop and start tweaking.

Yeah, it seemed like the easiest solution. The only difference will be the red section will flash instead of yellow. If you try to use a bulb in the yellow section it is constantly on when the lights are on. I just pulled the bulb. Hope this helps.

Here is a quick sketch of what I did. It was fairly easy, took all of 15 minutes. I used a pair of scizzors and a screw driver.

When I carry them back to the shop I plan to solder and heat shrink the reverse leads. I think 1' of wire should be more than enough.

Edit:

When I get it all back together I will see if I decide to remove the bulb. Ideally I want to tint the amber parts of the talon tails red. I've seen some cherry red spray similar to VHT Nightshades that is used on tail lights.

Attachments

• light tweak 800.jpg
    light tweak 800.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 233
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back