The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

:talon: Loud 3rd gear noise/grinds 2nd & 3rd gears only, I'm stumped

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khart1684

Probationary Member
Aug 26, 2005
Lake Orion, Michigan
I need some help with this one... I rebuilt my transmission recently and have been driving it for only 500 hundred miles or so, from the install, second gear and third gear always grind when shifting , third gear is the worst of the two. When its in third gear it produces this bad noise that can be heard from the sidewalk and as the RPM's increase so does the noise. I can't down shift to 3rd or second gear because it will just grind. Even @ a stop I will press the clutch and shift to second and it will mildly grind and then go into gear, I'll take it out of second and release the clutch, then press the clutch and try to shift into 3rd , it grinds worst then the second gear. its as if the clutch wont work for the 2nd and 3rd gears :confused: its a 91 talon AWD :talon:

Did you have the same grinding issues before you rebuilt the transmission?
Its possible that you need to bleed the clutch system more, and its also possible that your pedal assembly is worn out and doesnt work completely. Of course it could also be something wrong in the trans but not likely since you just had it rebuilt.

If you are grinding that bad, you have dead synchros. Synchros are damaged by an improperly adjusted clutch 99% of the time, so you may want to be sure that is right first. If you just blindly replaced the blocker rings, like many beginners do, that is only a small part of the whole synchro assembly. You have the hub to check for thrust and chatter wear, the slider to check for chatter and tooth damage, the springs, keys, wear on the forks, and the dogs on the gear. If any of those parts are not perfect, it will grind even with new rings. Sounds like 3rd might have damaged or missing needle bearings too, or you did the bearing preloads wrong.

Jack
www.jackstransmissions.com

Yes I rebuilt it myself, Its my 1st complete rebuild but I have matched good gear rails etc. together several time and never had problem with them. I noticed during the case assembly that one of the gear teeth on the intermediate shaft had a small chip on the top of it... NO grinding before the rebuild. Never did check the bearings preload. ANd as for me missing a small piece, no I know I didn't, I even bought that tiny little seal that goes in the top(towards rear of TRans case) of input shaft. Did everything by the book(all data/dealer print out), except preload check. I inspected and replaced all worn parts as needed during the rebuild

If you do some searching through the forums, you will find that people are recommending all different kinds of lubes; apparently our trannies are very picky, and they are NOT all happy with the same stuff (like TRE's really seem not to like the SM). I use the Synchromesh and it made a BIG difference (like night and day) over the gear lube the shop filled mine with. Defiant and Shep also reccomend it, but some people are mixing it and some are saying it's crap. I would recommend trying it at least, especially if you're having trouble with what you've got. Good luck.

Its worth a shot... just that its third gear that makes the noise and a sorta loud one @ that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back