The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Talon Budget Street Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TALNTUNER

Probationary Member
Jan 26, 2013
cedar rapids, Iowa
Alright, so as soon as my mustang sells, I'm gonna take the plunge and get a tuner:ohdamn:. I'm gonna use this thread to make my plans before I buy a talon. SO I want an awd street monster:thumb:. Spending limit will be about 5k. This includes the car. Ill be looking for a awd talon for around 2k, 5 speed and w/ a 4g63. This going to be my first time doing engine work, but i've assembled an engine before, not import though. So my question is, what do I need to achieve 500 awhp?
Heres the current plan-

• - Comp Street Race Camshaft Set
    - Ross Forged Pistions
    - CI 6 bolt head stage 4
    - Set of 700cc injectors
    - 255 lph fuel pump
    - Ring set, Gasket set, misc. bolts, bearings, etc
    -.68 AI Research Turbo (picked it up on craigslist for cheap)
    My question is should I do anything to the valve train? Also as for the other engine parts, can I'm not worried about the camshaft (should I be?), and can I use the stock connecting rods? I've got a lot to learn, but this is where i'm at as of now. Please rip apart my plan:thumb:

If you're doing upgraded cam's I would recommend at least getting new springs and retainers. You're going to need something to tune with as well, Most recommend DSMLink V3 or lite. An upgraded intercooler, either a FMIC or Liquid to air, and a new blow-off valve is also recommended. As well as a Full 3" exhaust from the turbo back. That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure some other members will chime in as well.

Alright, so as soon as my mustang sells, I'm gonna take the plunge and get a tuner:ohdamn:. I'm gonna use this thread to make my plans before I buy a talon. SO I want an awd street monster:thumb:. Spending limit will be about 5k. This includes the car. Ill be looking for a awd talon for around 2k, 5 speed and w/ a 4g63. This going to be my first time doing engine work, but i've assembled an engine before, not import though. So my question is, what do I need to achieve 500 awhp?
Heres the current plan-

• - Comp Street Race Camshaft Set
    - Ross Forged Pistions
    - CI 6 bolt head stage 4
    - Set of 700cc injectors
    - 255 lph fuel pump
    - Ring set, Gasket set, misc. bolts, bearings, etc
    -.68 AI Research Turbo (picked it up on craigslist for cheap)
    My question is should I do anything to the valve train? Also as for the other engine parts, can I'm not worried about the camshaft (should I be?), and can I use the stock connecting rods? I've got a lot to learn, but this is where i'm at as of now. Please rip apart my plan:thumb:

• For starters welcome to the DSM seen, you wont miss your mustang.

Managing this project to only 5000 will be tight, so I wish you luck on that. For 500whp, you will need atleast 850cc injectors with the walbro 255 fuel pump. Stage 4 head is a bit much, you could probably be fine with stage 3 unless your going for racing purposes. Pick up some good cams, adjustable gears, and revised lifters V3. Ditch the stock boost gauge, get a new more accurate one as well as a wide band o2 sensor. Think about your exhaust, 3" downpipe and exhaust.

Yes upgrade your connecting rods with your pistons. Get your hands on a full gasket rebuild set. You can look into removing your balance shafts. There's lots of info on this as well here. Make sure which ever turbo you buy is in good shape meaning no shaft play good journals/bearings.

Then for tuning, DSMlink is the most popular easiest way to go about it. You can log your own tuning and run your car great. These cars are great, make sure you find a good shell to start with and have fun. The best way to learn is just tackle it. I never became that involved with my cars until I got into DSM's and I've driven other turbo'd vehicles too, but these just increase your addiction.

Good luck.

To add to the list youre also going to need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator if youre running the 255, and most likely an upgraded tranny/clutch setup if you reach your goals(but the stock one should do okay until you start getting up there). And like they said get ECMlink is essential for almost every build.
I don't think 5k is realistic for a 500hp build, I would recommend going through the other builds and see what they've done and that will give you a better idea of what youre in for. Good luck though, welcome to tuners! :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back