The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Talon 420a in Eclipse RS/GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Amodeo

Probationary Member
Aug 13, 2020
Elizabeth, New_Jersey
My eclipse has been out of commission for a year or so now and I ended up getting a 420a from an eagle talon. I ended up giving the car and the engine to my mechanic to fix because I've never swapped a motor and didn't have the time. It's been in the shop for 5 months now and I'm getting a little angry because he said it would take a weeks worth of work. He says it won't stay running.

Sounds like pretty bad mechanic, takes me outside couple of hours in a first place, but I'm not sure how else we could help you other than get the car back, don't pay much and find a better mechanic, talon and eclipse is the same car just rebadged, 2ga and 2gb has some different sensors and connectors and different ECM but that's pretty much it, pretty much plug n play depending on the year you might have to change sensors or ECM in worst scenario

Find a different mechanic. Any decent mechanic [a true diagnostician, not just a parts-swapping monkey] should be able to deal with a starting/running problem in a matter of a few hours or days. 5 months is beyond absurd.

At this point I think you need some advice beyond "get your car back." This site represents decades upon decades of high-end experience, from racing to Mitsu dealer wrenches, welders to machinists, and hobbyists of all stripes. No better place on the planet than here if you have a DSM issue.

So with that said, if you are interested and willing, get your car back and we can help you do what your "mechanic" seems unable or unwilling to do - get your ride back on the road. For your part you will have to research the threads and recommendations on here and do as much as you can for yourself.

Learn. Try. Get dirty. Think.

You do that and we will happily fill in the gaps and help you with information, explanations, and encouragement. I guarantee that what you are experiencing has been met and resolved several times over the years by the members on this forum.

So whadda ya say? Care to learn to be your own mechanic on this? Think of it like learning to play golf with the entirety of the PGA giving you advice and tips.

At this point I think you need some advice beyond "get your car back." This site represents decades upon decades of high-end experience, from racing to Mitsu dealer wrenches, welders to machinists, and hobbyists of all stripes. No better place on the planet than here if you have a DSM issue.

So with that said, if you are interested and willing, get your car back and we can help you do what your "mechanic" seems unable or unwilling to do - get your ride back on the road. For your part you will have to research the threads and recommendations on here and do as much as you can for yourself. Learn. Try. Get dirty. Think. You do that and we will happily fill in the gaps and help you with information, explanations, and encouragement. I guarantee that what you are experiencing has been met and resolved several times over the years by the members on this forum.

So whadda ya say? Care to learn to be your own mechanic on this? Think of it like learning to play golf with the entirety of the PGA giving you advice and tips.
This is spot on. It could be a sticky at the top of each sub forum! Well said.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back