The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Taller gears for auto?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwahl16

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 26, 2009
Havertown, Pennsylvania
I have read about the taller 5th gears for manual transmissions that help to bring the rpms down at highway speeds. I was wondering if IPT or someone has made anything for automatics to help lower the rpms. It would be a great gas saver! Oh, and i'm definitely looking for info on 4g63t trannys, not 420as.

The way the automatic transmission works makes it near impossible to have a taller final gear without affecting all the other gears. We don't have that option.

Depending on the clearance you have, you may be able to fit a slightly larger tire to help out.

Custom front gears 55-18 with an RVR 29-27 TC = 2.844827586 to a 2.846153846 rear diff 37-13 < Rear diff from an RVR man N/T
But your 1st take off will be sad & 2nd gear cornering will be way under turbo spool time.
Cheers !

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back