The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Taking out the cheese!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWHTanK

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 23, 2011
Odessa, Missouri
Whats involved with braided line, a n fittings and such? Im doing this swap and I need to understand whats in needed. And can u use this stuff for power stearing and cluch lines?

Never worked with the stuff. What tools are needed. What can it handle presure wise. How do you figure what size u need. For instance the fuel line on a 420a car at the fire wall. I want to tap into that and run it to a after market fuel rail. Is thier a size chart? And tips and tricks working with the stuff.

So why is the thread call "taking out the cheese"?

Anyway i don't know much about braided lines but maybe this can help:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-miscellaneous/218391-how-work-stainless-braided-hose-fittings.html

As far as size for fuel line I've seen people us -6an to -8an.
to convert "an" to inches you take the "an" number and divide by 16.

Ex. -6an / 16 = 3/8"
This measures OD though i think.

Thanks. I guess I have to figure out what thread sizes I will be needing? And If will work on the high presure side of power stearing,Im trying to figure if I can put a pressure switch in the line, the reason.
1 I am doing a srt swap the car 2g.
2 the srt has the switch on the stearing rack
3 The 2g is mounted on the pump
So I figured if I can put the switch on the pressure side, that I could get that signal to the pcm.

The same goes for the clutch line. The problem thier is that the srt use plastic a plastic line with plastic master and slave cyl with no bleader. What I want to do use the 420a master with the srt slave and put in a bleader.

Is the above possable with a n fitings and braided line?

Just to let you know its not the easiest thing to do. Prepare to bleed!

Well im use to bleed. I got the srt in thier just trying to figure out some of the hook up stuff.

6an is enough for most people. On a 420a 4an should be enough.
For power steering I would use it only on the low pressure side, on the high side that will not work.

Easiest way to do it, get a 3lb hammer and use a chisel
like this
3-1/2 in. Guardian Handguard Brick Chisel-35105 at The Home Depot

put it on the concrete floor and a few good wacks and it will have a clean cut. Lube up the fitting and the hose (put the fitting in a vice) and push and twist the line. If it doesn't go in all the way hold the hose and bang the fitting on the floor or flat part on the vice. A tip, if any part of the SS line frays and bends back you will not get it on. Tighten the other part of the fitting while pushing the hose in so it doesn't back off. Be sure to lube that up as well.
You can always go pushlok hose if you like it's cheaper.
Or if you want to prevent a lot of bleeding from the SS line use the lightweight hose. It's not rated as high for pressure but works great for fuel. I had no issues and it's much much easier to install.
Black Braided Nylon Lightweight Hoses - Race Plumbing

And for power steering you will have to do more than just make lines you need to change the fittings. Weld them on.

6an is enough for most people. On a 420a 4an should be enough.
For power steering I would use it only on the low pressure side, on the high side that will not work.

Easiest way to do it, get a 3lb hammer and use a chisel
like this
3-1/2 in. Guardian Handguard Brick Chisel-35105 at The Home Depot

put it on the concrete floor and a few good wacks and it will have a clean cut. Lube up the fitting and the hose (put the fitting in a vice) and push and twist the line. If it doesn't go in all the way hold the hose and bang the fitting on the floor or flat part on the vice. A tip, if any part of the SS line frays and bends back you will not get it on. Tighten the other part of the fitting while pushing the hose in so it doesn't back off. Be sure to lube that up as well.
You can always go pushlok hose if you like it's cheaper.
Or if you want to prevent a lot of bleeding from the SS line use the ligh tweight hose. It's not rated as high for pressure but works great for fuel. I had no issues and it's much much easier to install.
Black Braided Nylon Lightweight Hoses - Race Plumbing

And for power steering you will have to do more than just make lines you need to change the fittings. Weld them on.

Thanks for the tips and I like the black a n on black line.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back