The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Taking off black goo off

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chivocrazy69

Proven Member
Aug 1, 2021
lynn, Massachusetts
Does anyone know what to use to take off the black sticky stuff off the bottom of the door panels. I own a 99 eclipse spyder.

That "black sticky stuff" was used to hold the vapor barrier on. When it gets too hot, it will tend to drip down, and sometimes come out underneath the door panel. If you want to remove it, I would start by pulling the vapor barrier off, and then use a heat gun and a plastic scraper to get the bulk majority of it off. Then I would use something like Goo Gone to remove the rest. From what I've heard this is tedious, so patience is key. After you have it all off you can choose to add a new vapor barrier, although now you would have to find a way to attach it, or just not run one.
I hope this helps

Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover. Squirt and let it sit for 20 minutes first before wiping. But yes if you can, wipe the excess off the vapor barrier or it will keep running down in hot weather. Off course you have to remove the door panel to do this. Goo Gone works good too.

I bought goo gone and it started dripping black on the side of the car like oil when i started whipping it off i got so mad and returned the goo gone LOL good thing i bought a heat gun to do my tints so ill have to go back and buy the goo gone again and yes have some patients! Thank u so much guys!.

I bought goo gone and it started dripping black on the side of the car like oil when i started whipping it off i got so mad and returned the goo gone LOL good thing i bought a heat gun to do my tints so ill have to go back and buy the goo gone again and yes have some patients! Thank u so much guys!.
The Goo Gone I use is like a gel, that clings to the surface.

Maybe if gas wasn't priced like gold ROFL

On a serious note though. Gas is great for removing grease and grime. But I personally wouldn't want to risk having the inside of my car smell like gas for a few days. Just me though.

Yea me neither i woulsnt want that gas smell... I will try the goo gone gel and the heat gun... Is there something else i can apply to the door panels that will stick and be clean.?

is the goo gone the gel? like one of the threads said they used a goo gone gel

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back