The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

VHT Nite Shades [Merged 8-7] tint tinted smoked painted tails taillight taillights

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I tinted my tail lights with vht night shades. I think it looks pretty good, the darker you want them to look the more coats you have to apply. Also if you do get the vht nightsade make sure u wet sand in between each coat for the best look.

here is a picture with my car vht niteshaded and the corners paint matched....

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

make sure you clean and tape everything very well, then i sanded the surface very lightly then applied 5 coats, then sanded then cleared with automotive clear....

and yes they shine exactly like stock at night....this stuff is great!!!

Mike, I recommend you do it! I'll be spraying the Nightshades on my 1ga headlights and taillights assuming I have some spares left over
-Josh

+1 painting them is the way to go. Cover's look like crap and can be stolen rather easily.

LRS95TSI's car looks pretty sick with them being painted

i just hope no1 paint matches their corners like me...but its inevitable! i love the stuff the texture is amazing, i know that sounds odd, but you just wouldn't think spray tint would be smooth...sanding with 2000 and slapping some automotive clear on in a booth makes it feel like a babies butt!

My friend has the velcro stick on ones, and they look great at night but during the day, kinda tacky. Im thinking about doing the paint. Also are there stock looking LED tails, or LED tails in general?

Matt

Well I'm surprised you didn't find any information on this topic. All you really do is buy a can or two of nightshade or any other kind of spray tint and spray on about 3 coats depending on how dark you want it. Then go over it with a clear coat. Pretty easy stuff.

yea i had only done a quick search for smoked tails on the forum here and didnt find much...can you paint them from the inside or does it have to be done to the outside? seems like i have heard of someone doing the inside of lights before...i could be wrong thanks for the posts

I see your in PA to, dont over do it when you tint them, PA cops will nail you! $80 I know!!!

I see your in PA to, dont over do it when you tint them, PA cops will nail you! $80 I know!!!

Why are PA police so tight on tinting your tails? Is it illegal? Or is there a limit on how dark they are like window tinting? Please explain.

You can probebly just go to a tint shop and have them do it. My freinds have both had theirs done (2002 Passat and 2002 Explorer). It was only like 35 bucks or somthing and it looks great, plus there is a warranty

By tinting the lense's what color are they when you hit the brakes? Do you have to cover up a area, so you have part of it still red?

the lense itself is black or darker, depending on how many coats you apply. The light will still be red when you hit the brakes.

i wouldn't mind doing that to my tail lights. i'm still going to get the GT Styling headlight covers though, but i want the tail lights to be smoked too. my friend has a 2003 Eclipse and he got his side markers, and tail lights tinted. they look sick cause his cars black. but on the one sidemarker they messed up and its peeling back, so you can see its light in one spot, a bit sketchy.

here is a good step-by-step guide w/ pics on how to paint your tail lights with vht nightshades. Its not a dsm. But its a good example

I have a question about applying this. Do you spray it over the plastic lens(the outside piece open to elements such as rain.... LOL) Or inside of that?

Also How do you think it would look on my car. Maybe just the orange parts in the back? All of it. Including head lights?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back