The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Tach needle not put on correctly

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackStieben

Proven Member
Feb 11, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
When changing the bulbs on my gauge cluster, I (stupidly) pulled the tachometer needle off thinking that's how I replaced the bulbs. Well since I didn't mark it, it doesn't read accurately anymore. I tried putting it in different positions and nothing seems to work. The actual engine speed isn't messed up or anything, it sounds normal. I know that the needle itself is just screwed up. Is there any way I can get it correct again w/o a data logger or anything like that?

probably not.. It may even be easier to get a used cluster off someone parting there car out. Unless your car has super low mileage and you car about that sort of thing

Take your smartphone. Download a GPS speedometer app.

1) Drive at a constant speed.
2) Find the difference. (between gps speed and odometer speed)
3) pull needle off, rotate that "difference amount, place back on.

Repeat 1-3 till you are happy. Hope you paid attention in geometry class.

One trick we often use when switching face covers on a cluster is to push the needle onto the center post aligned just under the stop pin. Once pressed onto the center post, carefully flex the tip of the needle up and over the stop pin. This puts preload on the gauge and should zero it out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back