The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

T-belt cover base timing marks

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMjrv

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 29, 2004
corona, California
is this how it is?

Attachments

• t-beltdeg.JPG
    t-beltdeg.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 994
Heres some pics I took today. The crank is right on, and the cams are as good as can be. Mabye I have another problem causing my no vacuum...My car runs fine except that I have no vacuum and my brakes suck too.

Attachments

• IMG00065.jpg
    IMG00065.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG00069.jpg
    IMG00069.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 298
Unless that is just a bad angle it looks to me that your cam is off by a tooth. Put a ruler up to it and take a picture.

Unless that is just a bad angle it looks to me that your cam is off by a tooth. Put a ruler up to it and take a picture.

thats what it looks like to me and thats why you wouldnt have any vacume or you have a hole in your vacume/boost gauge tubbing but u said ## car was running fine

? What about the marks down on the oil pump sprocket and the main crank sprocket to go along with the cam sprocket marks?

Looks like the autoadjuster isn't set right why the EXH cam is still rolled forward a bit.

These would definitely let you know if you got everything in time

I'll completely take the timing belt cover off tommorow and get some more pics up asap. Hopefully this is my vacuume problem and I can finally figure this damn car out!

So, my car would run pretty good if my exhaust cam is off a tooth, but low vacuum? Or is my intake cam off? Thank you guys.

I personally don't think your base timing is off at all. If you would rotate the crank slightly more the marks will line up. Have you done a boost leak test? Checked your Boost/Vac line to the gauge for cracks? Hell, the brake booster diaphram could be compromised or the hose split going to the intake manifold.

Having either the intake or the exhaust cam will change your vacuum slightly, but the car would still run "normally" as long as ignition timing was adjusted along with it. The powerband and spoolup would be different.

Alright guys, I have some more pics. I took the cover off and these pics are with the dowel pins on the cam gears down. Everything lines up pretty good to me...

Attachments

• IMG00075.jpg
    IMG00075.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG00073.jpg
    IMG00073.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG00072.jpg
    IMG00072.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 168
  • dowel pins down.jpg
    dowel pins down.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 175
And here's some pics of when the dowel pins are straight up... is it ok if the oil sproket isnt lined up when the dowel pins are straight up, but it does when they are down? My oil pressure is fine via autometer gauge.

Attachments

• IMG00082.jpg
    IMG00082.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG00085.jpg
    IMG00085.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG00086.jpg
    IMG00086.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 157
The oil pump sprocket posistion only matters on a motor with balance shafts.

From TDC all the timing marks should re-align after 6 revolutions of the crank. Your timing still looks good to me pending on if it has a balance shaft elimination. Otherwise, you should re-align the oil pump sprocket to its mark, while the crank and cams are set at their marks with the dowel pins straight up. TDC.

Yes, the dowel pins need to be at 12 o'clock when lining up all the marks.

When setting the oil pump, rotate the timing mark to 12 o'clock and release it. If it falls to the left (and the marks are pretty close to lining up), it's in phase. If it falls to the right, it's out of phase. If it's out, rotate it fully around and try again. Just keep trying until it falls in phase.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back