The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

T-belt cover base timing marks

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMjrv

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 29, 2004
corona, California
is this how it is?

Attachments

• t-beltdeg.JPG
    t-beltdeg.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 988
Sooo, I just checked my timing off my timing cover and it said it was right on the +10 mark with the cam gears straight up. Am I off a tooth or two? My car runs ok, I have NO vacuum whatsoever though (-3inhg at idle). I know this is an old thread, but it's better thank making a new one! Thanks

Yes. What line is it supposed to be at?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the timing marks on the cam shafts line up along with the notch on the crank pulley at 0 (TDC)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the timing marks on the cam shafts line up along with the notch on the crank pulley at 0 (TDC)

Yes, with the cams straight up (2 inner marks aligned with straightedge across the cam bolts) the timing mark on the cover should be on zero. This isn't really the most accurate way to check base timing though. The best would be to remove the lower timing cover and check to see that the crank mark matches up with the front case mark when the cams are aligned.

It sounds like he's talking about cam/valve timing, not ignition timing. If so then I believe what Jim said is correct.

It sounds like he's talking about cam/valve timing, not ignition timing. If so then I believe what Jim said is correct.

hey guys my car did the samething and i pulled it down to the timming belt and check and i was off a tooth and thats wut my vac was at it sucks to better safe than sorry just pull the cover and check ## marks

I agree with the others that you should pull the upper and lower timing covers and confirm your timing marks. Once you are sure about the mechanical timing being ok then put it all back together and set your base ignition timing to 5* BTDC.

I agree with the others that you should pull the upper and lower timing covers and confirm your timing marks. Once you are sure about the mechanical timing being ok then put it all back together and set your base ignition timing to 5* BTDC.

also while your checking timming you should replace your hydrolic tynsoner because its most likly worn out i have to do the samething to mine

Those should be "minus" (-) marks on that pict of the cover, not plus (+) symbols. How is one gonna do the minus 5* BTDC without a minus mark?

Also, isn't there a TDC ("0") mark on that cover?

Someone needs to add a pict to those who don't know anything about grounding that connector to disable the ECU, for a lot really don't know about this procedure.

Thanks for the replys. This is going on a 98 2g so I dont have to set ignition timing. I have a crank sensor and my CAS is different, it can only be altered to be 180 degrees out of wack.

I re-did the timing blt this spring, andI've probably only put 600 miles on it since. ever since then, my vacuum is always lower than 5inhg (besides at decel) even when cruising on the highway. My top end seems fine, but sometimes idling is rough, and my brakes suck because I have no vacuum to "boost" them with (pun intended).

My timing belt cover looks just like the one in the pic with the notches in it. When my cam gears are straight up with the dowel pins straight up, it sits at the +10 mark. If I need to pull the cover, I will, but I just wanted to see if this sounds on or not before having to do that. Thanks.

I would say that something is wrong. When my cam gear timing marks are aligned the crank pulley timing mark is at the 0* line which is marked with a "T" on the timing belt cover (although I'm sure that you know that LOL.

Remove your crank pulley and make sure the harmonic balancer hasn't separated.

hey guy my car just dd the same thing lost vacume and it was off a tooth on the timming on the exhaust cam i put it back and bam good as new i would just recomend fixing if because if i gos any farther your not goin to like what happens and a far as the grounding of the pins 1g theres one on the firewall and one under your dash that both have to be grounded im not sure about the 2g i would replace the hydrolic tynsoner i allso took pics of my timming when i did it ill post them so you trust me

Yeah, my notch on the crank puley is on the 10 btdc line with everything straight up. So, I guess I'll be re-doing my timing belt! Fuh, I just bought new stuff like 6 months ago. DSM's suck...er...I guess I'm the one who did the timing belt.

urs looks way off you better check ## valvs but u might have gotten lucky

urs looks way off you better check ## valvs but u might have gotten lucky

ok in that pic of his harmonic balancer do you see the little notch its not on any mark at least thats what it looks like to me all the timming marks have to lined up if you put that little notch on tdc your two cams should line up and dowls will be vertical

ok in that pic of his harmonic balancer do you see the little notch its not on any mark at least thats what it looks like to me all the timming marks have to lined up if you put that little notch on tdc your two cams should line up and dowls will be vertical

the car my also run with it bein off a tooth rust me i have one setting in my driveway rite now its possible if you have a thicker head gasket that it wont touch if you just slip one tooth will run like crap but will run

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back