The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Synchronizer keys popped out during 5th gear nut tightening job

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91Bomb

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2003
US, New_Jersey
I was doing the 5th gear nut tightening job today and the brass ring gear thing popped out along with 2 of those synchronizer keys + outer spring that holds keys in place. So I attempeted to get those keys back in place but the inner spring that also holds those keys in place shifted or rotated so that the inner spring is now only holding 2 of the keys in place. Since I didn't think there was much hope of correcting that situation and seeing that 2 of the keys were in there good I simply placed the 3rd key in there and then put the outer ring in place to hold or provide tension to all 3 keys the way it should be. So the inner spring is only holding 2 keys and outer spring is on there corectly holding all 3 keys in place. I put that brass gear ring thing in and closed up the tranny. With car off and shifting through all gears + reverse there were no problems. I decided to drive the car tonight and did not hear or detect any problem even in reverse. The only thing I noticed is that when putting car into reverse there was a slight but not partticualrly abnormal click sound upon moving the shifter into reverse. The noise sounded perhaps a little more pronounced then before I messed with the tranny today but nonetheless a faint sound that I've always heard at the point of moving shifter to reverse.

Can someone who's familiar with trannys comment on this and either tell me it's no big deal and that none of those keys will migrate anywhere and really mess things up -or- lmk if I need to get back in there and correct the situation.

Thanks

I was doing the 5th gear nut tightening job today and the brass ring gear thing popped out along with 2 of those synchronizer keys + outer spring that holds keys in place. So I attempeted to get those keys back in place but the inner spring that also holds those keys in place shifted or rotated so that the inner spring is now only holding 2 of the keys in place. Since I didn't think there was much hope of correcting that situation and seeing that 2 of the keys were in there good I simply placed the 3rd key in there and then put the outer ring in place to hold or provide tension to all 3 keys the way it should be. So the inner spring is only holding 2 keys and outer spring is on there corectly holding all 3 keys in place. I put that brass gear ring thing in and closed up the tranny. With car off and shifting through all gears + reverse there were no problems. I decided to drive the car tonight and did not hear or detect any problem even in reverse. The only thing I noticed is that when putting car into reverse there was a slight but not partticualrly abnormal click sound upon moving the shifter into reverse. The noise sounded perhaps a little more pronounced then before I messed with the tranny today but nonetheless a faint sound that I've always heard at the point of moving shifter to reverse.

Can someone who's familiar with trannys comment on this and either tell me it's no big deal and that none of those keys will migrate anywhere and really mess things up -or- lmk if I need to get back in there and correct the situation.

Thanks

I'm no trans pro I have only disassembled a couple of them, with help, but I think that those keys also help center the synchros and I would want all three in my transmission :)

you can easily remove that gear to reset those keys. Using a punch/mallet, force the 5th gear synchro retaining pin out. Remove the large nut that holds the 5th gear/synchro assy.Slip up the 5th speed synchro and gear assembly then reset the dog teeth into the spring clips. Re-install in reverse order torque to 102ft lbs then replace the roll pin.

with those dog teeth not fully seated the syncrho will not be full seated as the spring shim on the case is being compressed slightly

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back