The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

symptoms of a bad o2 sensor.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegas Smith

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 2, 2002
Houston, Texas
symptoms of a bad 02 sensor.....my car has severe hesitation....gets sub-par gas mileage and smells rich.......but here is the tricky one. i have an a/f gauge.....it used to work but a few months ago it just stopped working, tried diferent fuses ect....just doesnt work anymore, but still lights up so i know its not the gauge. ironically this was about the same time my car started going downhill, could it be that the o2 sensor just plain blew out, and when i hit boost the car becomes too lean or too rich, causing hesitation?

Hesitation should not be caused by a faulty O2 sensor. The only time the O2 sensor is actually in use is at idle and cruise (not WOT), and only under 4500 RPMs (I think). This is when the car is in "closed-loop" mode. The O2 sensor monitors how much oxygen is in the exhaust and finely adjusts the amount of fuel being injected into the cylinders to achieve a stoich mixture. At full throttle the O2 sensor is not used at all. Instead, fuel calculations are made (for the most part) based on the airflow reading from the MAS. This is called "open-loop" mode. Bad gas mileage is a tell-tale sign of a faulty O2 sensor, but I'd say you have other problems.

Chris

Hey I am also experiencing a problem with my mpg. Is there any way to test the o2 sensor to see if it is bad. I do not have a CEL, but my mpg sux and I have noticed on my a/f guage when I let off the gas it goes to rich and stays over there for a few seconds before going to lean. It never used to do that. I noticed it after I gutted the cat and put a straight pipe through it. I still have stock exhaust, and I don't vent to the atmosphere. This happened before and I replaced the spark plugs and it went back up some, but now it's heading down, that was like a month ago. Thanks, JB

What ended up being wrong with you car that was causing it to hesitate when you hit boost because I am experiencing the same problems.

Did you ever figure this out? I been reading nonstop, and tries so many things with no results

Old thread I'll go out on a limb and say that he wont respond.
For your issue you need to start with the basics. Boost leak test and a proper go over of your ignition system. I was fighting a lean breaking up issue with mine that turned out to be 2 of my brand new plugs had hairline cracks in the porcelain.

Boost leak test, plugs, fuel filter are good places to start. I had hesitation when I first bought my car when applying throttle. Major boost leak at the BOV and then another where a T was installed for the boost gauge. Fixed those and hesitation went away.

Boost leak test, plugs, fuel filter are good places to start. I had hesitation when I first bought my car when applying throttle. Major boost leak at the BOV and then another where a T was installed for the boost gauge. Fixed those and hesitation went away.
Thanks for the reply. My problem is that my car goes to 7 AFR when I go into boost. I have no boost leaks, I changed 2 different maf, I checked injector voltage, and had them flow tested and cleaned, I'm running out of ideas. I wonder if a bad o2 sensor would cause this. But wouldnt it throw a code?

Thanks for the reply. My problem is that my car goes to 7 AFR when I go into boost. I have no boost leaks, I changed 2 different maf, I checked injector voltage, and had them flow tested and cleaned, I'm running out of ideas. I wonder if a bad o2 sensor would cause this. But wouldnt it throw a code?

What mods does the car have? How are you tuning? What fuel pump/injectors/fuel pressure regulator do you have?

What mods does the car have? How are you tuning? What fuel pump/injectors/fuel pressure regulator do you have?
No mods. Car is basically stock. I stroked it to 2.3, i have a 3 inch exhaust 3 in cat and a 2.5 o2 housing. Fuel pressure regulator is oem and seems to be working fine. Tunning wise I have ecuflash but I have not messed with tunning yet.

I'm really trying to get my car running right. But I'm at the point of giving up on it. I cant find nowhere online that can answer why my car is running rich ONLY in BOOST. Normal driving is good but once I step on it my Wideband says I'm running RICH and maxed out at 7:1 AFR. And the car has no pwer

I'm guessing you have a big boost leak as air will leave the engine but you still have all the fuel being dumped in. Do a boost leak test and see what you find.

I'm guessing you have a big boost leak as air will leave the engine but you still have all the fuel being dumped in. Do a boost leak test and see what you find.
I did. I did a boost leak test at the throttle body, and at the turbo inlet with no leaks.

Regulator seems to be working fine, fuel injectors are clean and voltage is right, do you think the injector resistor might have something to do with the car running rich? I kinda doubt it

Hmm, I'd be surprised. You may have a big exhaust leak causing the car to run rich. Some of your turbo/manifold/o2 housing gaskets are leaking and that's tricking your o2 sensors.

Hmm, I'd be surprised. You may have a big exhaust leak causing the car to run rich. Some of your turbo/manifold/o2 housing gaskets are leaking and that's tricking your o2 sensors.
You sir . . . May be right. I'm sure no leak there. But I'm definately gonna check. . . But how do you check exhaust leaks?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back