The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Switching from automatic to manual/ Starter Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xorion29X

Probationary Member
May 27, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
So I've taken out a 6 bolt with an automatic trans. from a 92 and swapped trannys for a manual awd trans which is from a 90 gsx. I dropped this into my 90 gsx. I have the starter from my automatic transmisson, which bolts on fine, but when I engage the starter it doesn't catch the flywheel. Are there different starters for an automatic and a manual? could that be why it's not catching? The flywheel is in good shape, and I've turned it by hand just to try and see if it was a bad tooth on the flywheel. But I doubt thats it. I've typed alot so I'll start with that. Are there different starters for an automatic and a manual?

When I swapped mine:
I used the auto starter as well, but it would grind when starting with the Fidanza flywheel.
I "carefully" placed a washer or two between the bellhousing and starter and the grind went away.
Kind of like shimming the starter so to say.

sounds like a cheaper remedy than buying a new starter! thanks for the tip.

ok so I tried the washer idea, and with two fat washers I'm still not catching the flywheel. what a pain! Anyone have a manual starter to trade for an automatic starter?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back