The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

switching from 2G Maf to a Evo8 Maf on a 1G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coppersmith

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 14, 2008
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Hello Iam in the process of removing a 2G Maf with a FP 4inch recirculated oval intake to install a Evo8 Maf with a 3inch intake with no recirculation (to get higher readings so iam able to run more boost). Now my question is do I need to be retuned right away even if I left the boost where it is, or can I drive the car the way it is? Also will I be okay with the 3 inch no recirculated intake or will I lose some power etc? thanks in advance for your input

What are you tuning with? If you just swap the MAF than you will be running extremely lean.

Just to give you a rough idea on fuel needed with specific MAF on a 1g with stock ECU. In your case you could up the fuel pressure if needed to run the EVO 8 MAF say because the 2g MAF is bad. I'm not saying that is the correct way but it will work.

1G MAF=450cc injectors
2G MAF=550cc
Evo8 MAF=650cc

The EVO MAS puts out a Hz frequency MUCH lower than a 2G MAS for the same amount of airflow, so you will be very lean. You really need to put the EVO MAS compensation in your EPROM.

I'm thinking of getting a Evo MAS down the road maybe/maybe not but anyhow, can the AFC compensate the EVO MAS?

According to twdorris (ecmlink founder) there is no way you can tune for an evo mass on a 1G using anything besides link or an eprom chip. The airflow values will be so low and your timing so high that you'll blow it up or be stuck at a very low boost level to avoid knock.

The only way I could see it being possible with an safc is to run e85, and even then who knows what kind of timing that will put you at.

I run an evo 8 mas on my 1g and love it. I have a chip from keydiver. Ill never go back to a 2g mas. Wiring is simple and similar to the 2g. I say go for it as long as you get a chip and or link with it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back