The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

switched to castrol nextgen full synthetic get funny noises till warm is this normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSTurbo1

10+ Year Contributor
May 2, 2012
Pickens, SC, South_Carolina
Ok guys I just switched from a semiconvential 10w30 to castroil 10w30 nextgen full conventional. Immediately after start up I noticed that the engine sounded like I could hear the oil pump making noise. Not really like a grinding or anything just that the pump is audible. The oil pressure is good, acting the way it should. I only hear the sound when the car is cold, it just "whines" I guess you would say nothing super loud or obnoxious but I can definitely hear it. Should I go to something a little heavier like a 20w50 fully synthetic?

Any recommendations?

castrol doesn't make nextgen, Valvoline does.... Nextgen oil is also made of 50% used oil. Valvoline claims that it is every bit as good as their regular oil. The fact of the matter is, most conventional oil brands use a percentage of used oil in them. That being said, I dont think that the Whining would be your oil pump, are you sure that it isn't power steering?

Also, your title says full synthetic and in the OP you said full conventional. Which is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using full synthetic now my power steering has been deleted. If he sound doesn't go away I might go to 20w50 royal purple. Is this too heavy or should it be ok?

It's only when it's warming up then the noise vanishes. I just don't want to be too then and mess anything up

Or what about a 15w40. I'm usually on the throttle pretty hard I'm in upstate sc summers are mid90s and winters an less than mid 20s. I wAnt something thicker to quiet it up and be safe.

I would venture to guess that it's a normal noise from the older style oil pumps that came in the older 6 bolt engines. They have straight cut gears compared to the newer style oil pumps that have the rounded edges.

That particular type of oil may have exagerated the sound.

No I'm running synthetic now, sorry for the confusion. I am having a hard time posting via forum runner on the iphone.

I'm guessing that that particular brand of oil has characteristics that are allowing it to be more audible.

I don't think it's a big problem, but if it's annoying you can try a 10-40 or so.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back