The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Euro GS Engine Swap Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joao Fontes

Probationary Member
Feb 2, 2021
Santa Maria da Feira, Alabama
I had a car accident and right now I'm searching for information because it is crashed and because of that I would like to repair it with a few of modifications, but the info that I've been founding on web it's not very helpfull.
I have an Eclipse 2GS (4G 63 engine) and I would like to do these things:
• Swap to an Evo engine;
• Convert AWD;
• Put 350hp

I have an Eclipse 2GS (4G 63 engine) and I would like to do these things:
• Swap to an Evo engine;
you already have and evo3 engine.
so im gonna assume you mean like an evo8 or evo9 engine.
which you don't wanna do. the transmission is on the drivers side on an evo so it won't even bolt up without modding the mount locations on the body. a bunch of other shit too but i don't feel like trying to explain.
• Convert AWD;
do it :hellyeah:
• Put 350hp
take the money you were gonna spend on an evo motor and installing it, spend it on the 4g you already have. you should be able to get 350hp out of it.

you already have and evo3 engine.
so im gonna assume you mean like an evo8 or evo9 engine.
which you don't wanna do. the transmission is on the drivers side on an evo so it won't even bolt up without modding the mount locations on the body. a bunch of other shit too but i don't feel like trying to explain.

do it :hellyeah:

take the money you were gonna spend on an evo motor and installing it, spend it on the 4g you already have. you should be able to get 350hp out of it.

I wanted to swap cause mine was not a turbo version and on the accident, I probably broke my engine, and people told me that my engine is not good enough and that it was better to find an Evo or gsx engine.
I don't understand anything about mechanic.

I think this video will help you answer your first 2 questions

Watch "HOW TO: EVO SWAP YOUR ECLIPSE (FWD VERSION!)" on YouTube

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm not sure how deep it goes in details I just happened to stumble across it the other day. He has the FWD version and a AWD version.

However, He has a US spec GS so I think the mounting points are different than your NA 4g63. You could also look up turbo kits to make your NA into a 4g63t (of course after you rebuild it) that would basically give you an Evo 3 motor. Which is pretty much what the 2g turbo car has. And as for the AWD swap. It is fairly simple. Just a lot of labor and the hardest part is finding a Donor GSX car for the parts.

You see, due to cost saving Mitsubishi made all 2g Eclipse frames with the bolt holes and driveshaft channel in them. From there some were FWD and others AWD. What I'm trying to say is, the 2g Eclipse is readily available to accept the AWD system. You just have to find a donor GSX and swap some bolts around.

Here is a link to the AWD swap

There is a lot of research to catch up on. But with good planning it's totally achievable. I swapped my Eclipse Spyder (convertible)

And as for power, you want to check out this simple step by step bolt on guide

My simplified recommendation to you would be
1. fix your current NA 4g63 (with quality internals)
2. turbocharge it (this basically makes it an evo 3 engine)
3. follow the upgrade path to reach desired HP
4. later down the road do an AWD swap
I hope this helps and I wish you Good luck 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
wait, WTF, there is more than one Alabama? why wasn't i told about this.
anyways,
since your rolling a NT 4g63 i think the best way to go would be to try and find an Evo3 engine and transmission. The evo3 stuff should bolt right up since its just the turbo version of your current engine.
evo4-9 have the engine mounted on the passenger side and transmission on the drivers side, so opposite of what you got now.

wait, WTF, there is more than one Alabama? why wasn't i told about this.
anyways,
since your rolling a NT 4g63 i think the best way to go would be to try and find an Evo3 engine and transmission. The evo3 stuff should bolt right up since its just the turbo version of your current engine.
evo4-9 have the engine mounted on the passenger side and transmission on the drivers side, so opposite of what you got now.
thanks =)

If you crashed the car hard enough to damage the cylinder head of the engine, you may want to take another look at the condition of the car before you go trying to drop an engine into it. The only way I could see the car still being okay is if something smashed down on the hood.

Of course every accident is different, and every cylinder head casting quality is different. But I'm just imagining the front of that car being severely crushed and not worth modifying. Maybe I'm wrong though. Look underneath the car and see if there's any unusual twists, and maybe get the alignment checked too to see how much things have shifted.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back