The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Swap 92 shifter base assembly into a 1990?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all black 4G63

Proven Member
Aug 5, 2019
Chicago, Illinois
Hello,

My head is spinning reading all of the threads trying to figure out what I need to do to install a 92 shifter base (inside the car) onto a 1990 DSM with a 1990 trans and cables?

I am questioning this because I heard the 91-94 shifter base assemblies have a shorter throw. Well I guess I am trying to figure out if this is even worth it?

Thank you as always to the DSM gods that already know all of this!

The base question is: Is the shift throw shorter on the 91-94 cars?
If not there's little point other than moving to hardware that has better support.
On my 91 I just changed to the shorter weighted 2g knob over the "horse cock" it came with. That made a big difference.

Some may not know this but the 1990 shifter base is the only one that has a shift stop on it. If you bang your gears hard, you kinda WANT that so you don't break shift forks or the end of the rails where the shift mechanism is at by shifting too hard and "overshifting".
I too run a weighted Greddy knob on my Red 90. It helps the throw and I am glad that shift stop is there and just refurbished with all new bushings (including the shift stop bump).
Just a little more strange info about the Red Headed Step Child 1990's.

My 90 has an unknown trans, believe it is a 90 but I haven't confirmed - just too lazy cause it works.

I have a 90 shift base with 91-94 cables and 90 brackets on my transmission.

I had to make my cable adjustment on the transmission brackets in order to get it to shift right.

I’ve played with various combos on my car and others cars, bottom line is everything needs to match to work properly. 90 shifter base with 90 cables and lever, or 91-94 shifter base with 91-94 cables and lever. As someone mentioned you can adjust the cables to compensate, I adjusted my 91-94 cables to accommodate a 90 transmission with the 90 lever on it, it “worked” and shifted properly at cruising speeds, geometry being off also resulted in breaking a shift fork my first pass at the shootout in 2018 shifting fast. Everyone else local that tried it had it working, then eventually damage occurred the same way. Can’t go wrong matching the right pieces that are meant to work together so adjustment is proper and geometry of everything is the way that it is meant to be.

While Marty raises an interesting point about the 90 shifter base (never knew that, definitely good to know) I’ve never seen one have noticeably more or less throw than the other. If there is nothing wrong with your 1990 shifter base keep it in there with the 90 cables and selector. If you are dead set on using the 91-94 shifter base get some 91-94 cables, the bracket on the trans that holds the cables, and pull the trans and change the shift selector lever to the 91-94 style. Mixing and matching these pieces is going to lead to more headache and damage later over something that had zero benefit to do.

I have a few pictures of the 1990 shifter as I rebuilt it so I will post up a few that show the shift stop. I didn't realize what the "extra" cup was in my shifter bushing kit until I saw this BARE rod sticking out on the underside (the original bushing was long gone, turned to dust).
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have a few pictures of the 1990 shifter as I rebuilt it so I will post up a few that show the shift stop. I didn't realize what the "extra" cup was in my shifter bushing kit until I saw this BARE rod sticking out on the underside (the original bushing was long gone, turned to dust).

Thanks for the info, I am going to keep my 90 base, cables and trans and just order a rebuild kit. However, doesn't the 91-94 shifter base also have this stopper?

No. Even the bushing manufacturers were unaware of this (well most of them). I got my bushing kit from 3g dsm creations, and at that time it came with this "cup" that I couldn't figure out where it went. Good thing I had the 90 base, 91-94 don't have that stud to my knowledge. After I brought it up here on the forum, the folks that make bushings for our shifters added that one. :thumb:

Pretty sure all 1G shifter arms have a stop bushing. See the above for different part numbers. From: Install a 1g T/E/L Shifter in a Galant VR4, Galant shifter arm is on the left and 1G T/E/L is on the right. This is obviously a different arm than the one Marty posted pictures of above so this must be a 1991-1994.

If we go back to VFAQ and the link that @awdmonster1904 shared, Shifter Differences 90 and 91-94, there are plenty more pictures comparing 1990 and 1991-1994, each with the stop bushing. This is probably the nicest:

Reaching back into the ol' memory bank, I'm pretty certain I tried using a '91-'94 stop bushing on my '90 way back when and it absolutely did not work due to the size difference, preventing the selector from fully engaging gears.

Thanks Brian!!! You always save me from being ignorant.
I don't have anything other than the 90's to compare to. It is a part that needs to be replaced as normal maintenance (like I said, mine had evaporated, turned to dust) so without the plastic stopper, you can still overshift the trans.
If anyone is fixing their transmission, I would advise to replace the bushing for that arm or check it to make sure it is still in good shape. If not, you can order just that part.
I retract the "1990 only" statement. Maybe all 1g's tho.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back