The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

swap 4G37 for 4G63T

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koenigseggCC7

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 14, 2004
Endicott, New_York
can anyone give an estimate to the difficulty and worth of swapping out a 4G37 for a 4G63T? im looking for a parts list other then the parts listed on the site i plan on buying the engine from ( http://www.japanstarmotors.com/4g63t.html ), the approximate cost of these items, and the difficulty of this swap. it would be AWESOME tho if someone could post step by step instructions. thanks

Buy a chiltons and follow the removal precedure for a 1.8, then install instructions for a 2.0t. Youll need wire harness and vacuum hose(plenty of it) to hook the vacuum/boost system up correctly. It sounds intimidating but with the engine-1200 and other odds and ends -500+- youll be happy. Good luck :thumb:
Andrew

thank you very much that was pretty much exactly what i was looking for...if anyone else has any input though please feel free to post

You're probably going to also need the ecu, wiring harness, axles, tranny, motor mounts... it's a crapload of stuff...

actually if i'm correct i believe a 4g63 uses the same motor mounts as a 4g37. i have a 4g37 and just blew up the motor and i'm going to be putting in a 4g63 in it's place. but you do need a new tranny, ecu, engine wiring harness, and more than likely axles as well. :dsm:

well...if you looked at the link i posted it comes with the ecu and wiring harness....but why a tranny and axles? im not converting it from fwd to awd

first off a 1.8l tranny isn't geared to hande the power of a 2.0l motor plus it's not going to bolt up right.even if you could bolt a 1.8l tranny to a 2.0l motor you have a 80% chance of blowing your tranny to peices and damaging a brand new motor. the axles are made to handle the power of a 220 hp motor either. :dsm:

I'm going to attempt this swap myself...one of my buddies owns a small salvage yard/repair shop and has a 91 4G63 engine without head for $50...he robbed the head to fix a car that was brought to his shop. Anyway, I've been doing some research and don't see why this isn't a completly feasible swap. I went to www.advanceautoparts.com and looked up the axles and motor mounts for a 1.8, 2.0 and 2.0T and they're exactly the same part numbers.

SO, my conclusion is that in order to do this swap, you would need a 6-bolt 4G63 (or 4G63T, depending on whether or not you're going to rebuild the engine...either will work), all turbo related parts, turbo ecu and wiring harness, 2.0 non-turbo flywheel, high-performance clutch for 2.0 non turbo, and a couple of other small odds and ends. If you want to go all out, you could swap in a 4G63T tranny with the deeper bellhousing and then use all parts made specifically for the 4G63T. But I believe mating the 2.0T to the 1.8 tranny using 2.0 n/t parts would be the easiest and most cost effective thing to do.

I haven't done the swap yet, but I know the 1.8 and 2.0 engines have the same bolt pattern for the bellhousing. The 1.8 trannies are geared a little lower than the 2.0 trannies, but that should make for better 1/4 mile times. I don't see any reason why the 1.8 tranny wouldn't hold the same amount of HP as a 2.0 tranny...they share the same case. The gear ratios are a little different, but the actual size of the gears would have to be nearly the same in order to fit into the same case. I hope that didn't get too confusing LOL And considering that all the FWD eclipses/lasers/talons had the same axles, you won't need to upgrade them either (unless you plan to HIGHLY modify the engine...then aftermarket axles would be needed).

Anyway, I hope this helps a little. I've posted on boards all across the net and have been told - "stay away from this swap," "sell the car and buy one with a turbo," "this swap can't be done," etc. Haven't heard too many positive responses, but anyway. I'd say this would be a great swap to do...might be a little challenging, but very rewarding in the end.

As for the technical information I've posted, I'm not sure how accurate it is. This is what I've come up with after hours of scouring the net, and to my best understanding, the information is correct. If not, somebody please correct it so that the next person who happens upon this post will get the right information.

Been there done that. I used to have a 1.8 and I swapped to a 4g63T. It was fun but in the end it would be better to buy a turbo car. Why I swapped? I blew the engine and the car was just fixed up....new paint job, new rims, and custom interior.....too much swapping and the car had sentimental value as well.

You will need to have the wire harness, ECU, turbo parts, intake, yadda, yadda. I bought an entire turbo car with a blown turbo for $500 so all the parts were there. The only thing that didn't have existing bolt holes was the oil cooler (it was a 90) and I welded that on. I tried to use the 1.8 tranny and it didn't work. It blew after the engine boosted on the 16g the second time. So I pulled a newer turbo tranny and used it. So what would you need may you ask? EVERYTHING ;) :thumb:

Not being a butt head but it is a lot of work and swapping and the 1.8 tranny just won't cut it. However take into account that my 1.8 tranny was 260,000 miles old and I beat on it constantly as the 1.8 couldn't produce enough power to blow anything...LOL :laugh:

Excellent info guys. I was wondering about this myself. I am also looking at purchasing a motor from Japan Star Motor. But how about converting the 4G37 to the 4G63 N/T? What is needed, because the 4G37 tranny prob would not break under the stress because of th elack of a Turbo. Still would need the comp and stuff though I imagine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back