The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Suspension recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddockgst

Probationary Member
Jun 29, 2002
Pittsburgh_PA
I just bought a 99 Eclipse GST with 18" Katana wheels and Eibach sportline springs w/ camber kit. The ride in it right now is stiff as hell. The previous owner used it only for shows on weekends, but I'm going to drive it on every nice day. I live in Pittsburgh, PA so anyone who has drove in the state realizes that the roads suck. I guess my question is can anyone suggest a set-up that would drastically improve the ride quality without sacrificing the lowered look to much and without breaking the bank? Whether it be different springs, 17" wheels (so there's more rubber between the car and the road), or even both? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

You want softer? Thats a change! :)

Going back to stock springs will definitely get a softer ride (the Sportlines you have are pretty stiff), but you will lose the lowered stance too.

An option would be to go to Eibach "Pro-Kit springs". They are softer than the Sportlines, but firmer than stock. Since they are meant to be a driving spring, instead of for looks, they don't lower the car much (Various places use between 3/4 to 1 inch of drop.). They can be used with stock shocks or aftermarket ones.

A good shock to go with the Pro-Kits might be a gas adjustable type, but I think AGXs will be too stiff riding.

The above is the less expensive solution......if you are willing to pay for a coil over setup, pretty much the sky is the limit. They can then make you a soft riding car, with adjustable heights (you can pretty much set to what you want). More $$$ for this solution though.

Good luck

Kyle

You should be able to find a cheap coilover spring on ebay. Just make sure of the diameter of the spring before you buy it. If you don't like the spring rate, buy new springs and swap them in but keep the perches. Now you have height adjustability, and spring rate adjustability. For shocks, I uise Tokicos. The throw is a little long for a dropped car, but the ride is really nice. Just watch for big bumps at high speed, not good when the piston comes out the bottom of the shock body.

I wne for a ride in my friends 2G with Sportline and adj. shocks and thought the ride was decent. he said he had the shocks on a soft setting.

What kind of shock is on the car? Can you adjust it down to the softest setting?

Thanks for the input, I think I'm gonna go with the pro-kit springs along with koni adjustables. I just need to find the best price now. Oh, NJGSX96, as far as I can tell the stock shocks are atill on there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back