The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

suspension problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkvail

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2009
northwest, Washington
Just purchased a 96 Eclipse GS with 124K miles - looks like it has new struts (and it has almost brand new tires). The problem is I am hearing a clunking noise, almost metal-on-metal sound coming from the rear strut area. - and when going highway speeds and turning left corners, it will all of a sudden sway left/right/left and feels like the car is going to go out of control almost! Wheel lugs are snug, don't feel any obvious play like in wheel bearings, so I'm thinking maybe bushings in the suspension? I was going to take it to LesSchwab for diagnosis today, but my son had a dentist appt. and didn't feel well enough afterwards (don't blame him!) I need to get it fixed ASAP - we'll probably do the repairs ourselves to save cash.....

Does the car sit level? Bushing always seem to fail nowadays since the cars are getting older.

uh the rubber bushing disintergrated. Theres a bolt that goes thru there so your suspension won't fall apart but it will clunk every time you go over a bump and it let's your rear suspension move where it's not suposed to.
It's a pretty small part. I think you can order a set of them from Prothane. Fairly easy to replace

uh the rubber bushing disintergrated. Theres a bolt that goes thru there so your suspension won't fall apart but it will clunk every time you go over a bump and it let's your rear suspension move where it's not suposed to.
It's a pretty small part. I think you can order a set of them from Prothane. Fairly easy to replace

oh, whew, thought you meant your suspension fell apart! I'm taking it to LesSchwab this morning so they can get it up on the rack so I can see what's in need of replacing - then I will order parts and we'll fix it ourselves. We just got a huge air compressor and air tools and a mig welder this weekend, excited to work on something now, LOL.

well, I just went ahead and had LesSchwab put in new struts and strut mounts (KYB's). I have a trip today up highway 9 that will test out whether that fixed it or not. Inspection showed little or no play in the bushings, I watched/interacted while they did all the work - it really didn't look like the bushings were the problem (but the struts/mounts were original, so those were definitely bad!). I hope the struts/mounts fixed the problem ::crossing fingers::

EDITED TO ADD:

well, the new struts/strut mounts did NOT fix the problem...... can the bushings be bad and not have any obvious play in them? It feels like the left/rear wheel travels left/right/left/right when I go around a sharp left corner (mostly at highway/freeway speeds) - like it's trying to drive out of a rutted road.....

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back