The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Supra Sidemount Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i just got standard bends. and i used the left overs to lengthen the other pieces. but if you want, and extra 18" of straight 2.5" piping shouldnt be more than 10 dollars.

I called Dejon today and asked them if their lower intercooler pipe would work with my supra sidemount. They said..."yes and no". No they wont guarantee that it fits it, but yes alot of people have made it work. So im just wondering how you guys (if anyone) made it work. I did a search and didnt see anything. So let me know, also if you could take a pic of it, that would be great. Thanks!

Brandon

Why spend the extra money to have a finished product that you're only going to have to "hack-up" anyway :confused:

My suggestion is to install the SMIC and mock your own pipes using JCW/Summit mandrel pipe bends. YOu can connec the bends with couplers and/or have a muffler shop weld them up for you (~$25).

I've done two sets of LIPs for two different setups and each cost me <$40 total parts/welding and I've no prior fabrication experience ;)

FYI.. there's even a VFAQ on how to do it :dsm:

I must have hit my bottom end tank on something because it tore away from the core, I tried to seal it with automotive goop, but once i boosted, the seal broke away. My question is what will work to hold the end tank to the core and seal it from leaks?

Those end tanks are pretty weak since they're plastic, but what may help to salvage yours is to JB weld the end tank to the core and also make sure that you didn't create any small holes when you bottomed out. I would buy multiple tubes and maybe even consider having aluminum end tanks fabbed in case that doesn't work.

Good luck!

Andy

yes...it will hold. i had the same problem with my ssmic. another thing that works is rtv silicone. i mean..they use it to seal the crank case

unlmtdndeavor said:
yes...it will hold. i had the same problem with my ssmic. another thing that works is rtv silicone. i mean..they use it to seal the crank case
The crank case doesn't see much pressure. It's what your breather prevents.
A radiator shop can do a real repair on a sidemount, if it can be repaired. Temporary fixes will be just that. Time to shop for another used one.

By not seeing the damage another option, if its broken on the plastic take it to a body shop and see if they can weld it. I've never welded plastic, dont know what kinds they can do it to. But it can be done.

Then again, it may just be easier to buy another one.

Just bought a 90 TSI AWD...Small 16g, Walbro 255, FIC 650's...Couple other mods...anyway I'm on the Stock SMIC...but I have a Supra SMIC...I have a dejontool UICP...My question is...What do i need to install the Supra SMIC...will the dejontool UICP work for the top Connection?.

And dejontool sells a Lower Intercooler Piping Kit.

http://dsm.dejonpowerhouse.com/edit/1-03_LIP-1gA blue.jpg

Will that work for the supra SMIC?

yes, the uicp will fit as long as you mount the ssmic to that location. the lower one needs a tiny bit of work i believe, but is the easiest option. or you could do what i did and just fab up your own piping

I was trying to avoid fabbing up my own piping.

The install is on www.vfaq.com

You will have to do a bit of customizing when it comes to the lower IC piping since the Supra outlet on the bottom actually points more towards the front bumper than the stock IC.

I actually used the supra stock piping on the lower pipe for my coupler. I have a greddy lower pipe and I cut the 45 degree part out of the supra stock piping and bolted that to the intercooler. Than I used a metal reducer I found at autozone which connected the greddy pipe. Hope this helps but it fit up really nice this way.

Yeah i have the dejon UICP with the GM MAF...so thats not the issue.

Basically I'd like to know what I need to make the Lower IC piping...and where can I get it? I don't want anything cheap from pep boys or anything like that...And yes I knwo Vfaq has the write up...but after reading it muiltple times It isnt' all that clear to me.

Could i use the stock Lower IC piping if I got some 45 degree couplers? I'd prefer a hardpipe But whatever works.

I'm running a SSMIC on my '92 with Dejon upper & lower ICP's.
The upper works just fine connected to a 2G TB elbow w/ a 10" piece of radiator hose. I've got a 2.5" - 2.25" reducer between my intercooler outlet & the UICP (not an issue unless you've got ABS and have to run a 2.25" ICP like me).
The lower ICP is a bit trickier. I connected it with a couple pieces of 6" radiator hose. I used a 90 degree mandrel-bent elbow and a 2.5" - 2.25" reducer to fit the LICP to the IC inlet.
I also had to cut off the left towing hook on the frame to make room for the elbow.
Works great!
Look in the FAQ & do a search for Supra side mount intercooler or SSMIC. You will find pics of the install.
I'd send pics of my install, but I'm out of town for a couple weeks.

Looky here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202914

Here is a picture of my old Supra SMIC before I took it off for my FMIC.

Attachments

• FMIC 027.jpg
    FMIC 027.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 216
does the supra side mount bolt right up with no modifying? Can you use the stock ic piping with it?

97GSTJake said:
does the supra side mount bolt right up with no modifying? Can you use the stock ic piping with it?

You need aftermarket pipes the outlets are bigger on the supra SMIC. You also have to cut part of the body out to hold it up and keep it from dragging too low. Both ends will also need to be flipped because they are facing the wrong way in stock form.

I've had my supra SMIC sitting at the house for almost 2 years now, I just haven't got around to installing it. I picked mine up for $120.

Does anyone have step by step instructions on the install of a supra side mount on a 2G. What do i have to do in order for it to fit?

i guess so huh, looks like alot of people are waiting on those pictures

I was going to just go fmic but I just dont want to worry about someone stealing the fmic or the whole car:cry: Im just going to keep the supra sidemount instead. I was looking at this thread
http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224201&highlight=coolant+temps
This was a VERY creative thing to do!! I was wondering what you guys thought about the same set up on the supra sidemount??
thanks

It could work but I would recommend Meth. Injection. For $200 bucks you can get the whole kit and just use windshield washer fluid. With a good tune you will be able to run very high psi on the 16g you have in your wishlist.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back