The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

sunroof rusting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsondragon

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2006
East Brunswick, New_Jersey
After snow and then icy rain, my car completely froze over. I figured the best way to deice was to loosen it up and had the bright idea of using the sunroof to break it. Turns out the ice won. Sunroof refuses to work so as I was inspecting it, I noticed there is a giant rust patch in the driver side rear. It's so rusted you can peel it off like corn flakes. Is it best to get a completely new glass assembly or can I find just the metal part that holds the glass somewhere?

You just have to replace the whole sunroof glass. There are several cars that use that same glass so it should be easy to find. I have and extra one in good shape, but its NOT perfect. A new one is probably EXPENSIVE from the dealer.

Get a new (used) assembly off a parts car that isn't rusted to flakes.

So I can't just get the metal frame and transfer the glass over? Cause the glass is perfect.

I have never seen the metal frame seprate of the glass. You could try and replace the rubber seal, but if that frame is rotted bad enough the new seal will do you NO good.

I got a sunroof glass out of a Chrysler LHS or a Concord one time.

Do you have to remove the headliner in order to work on the sunroof? I'm thinking about buying that weather stripping from JNZ, it's not cheap. My sunroof works but it will get stuck at these certain points and only when I'm closing it, it opens just fine but slowly. Should I replace the entire assembly>? It leaks alot as well. I'm wondering if I should just replace the whole thing or buy the weather stripping and see if I can fix and tighten everything up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back